We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy weather

Indiana
3 posts
Save Topic
Rainy weather

Hi there, I was planning a trip to the Sandusky area this next week to visit Cedar Point, Put in bay, etc. The weather forecast indicates scattered thunderstorms all week. I know the rides at Cedar Point will remain open depending on the severity. Any ideas if this type of forecast typically means constant rain (with being near the lake . . "lake affect")??? Just wonder what one can do for fun (with an 11 yr old) if it rains the whole time. Thanks!!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy weather

how many days are you staying? dont worry about lake effect weather... usually only comes into play in the winter. as for rain, it really just depends. it's a gamble regardless. it could mean just scattered rain, not constant... or constant all day type rain. Cedar Point stays open during all weather, but lightening and the amount of rain determines if rides stay open or not. some smaller rides will stay open. arcades and shows are a good CP alternative if you cant do rides.

also in case of poor weather, think about going to the kalahari indoor waterpark. $34 for all-day admission. merrygoround museum and maritime museum are good (downtown sandusky). and you can still go to put-in-bay as well. do the cave tours if it rains.

Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy weather

Tentatively planning to arrive on Tuesday . . maybe do the evening admission to CP and then all day Wednesday. Go to Put in bay on Thursday. Considering other possibilities, the Merrygo round museum, Kelleys Island. Leave sometime Friday afternoon to return home.

Off and on rain wouldn't be bad . . just don't want constant downpour. Going to CP would be for daughter to try out coasters (I've been before).

Considering changing days . . arrive on Sat (sunny forecast) and depart midweek (before the higher chance of rain). But then have to consider bigger crowds and more expensive hotels. Decisions, decisions! :-)

Maybe we should just bring along umbrellas and tough it out! Thanks for the info!

Maple Valley...
Level Contributor
550 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy weather

I wouldn't change your plans based on a weather forecast for next week! The weathermen (and women) have a hard time telling us what the weather is doing out right now let alone next week!

Besides, most of the rides will operate in a light rain, and it will also keep the crowds down. Rain or shine, you will still have a great time! (I will add however, riding Millenium in the rain is a little rough on exposed areas of skin, so cover up!)

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy weather

lol vegas.... yeah... tiny drops of water become stinging little ice pellets when you're going 90 mph.

and Lynn, def dont change your plans... keep to during the middle of the week. you'll be here long enough to enjoy everything. there's a saying "if you dont like the weather in Ohio, just wait 10 minutes"

the forcasters are rarely dead on the money.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy weather

Just an FYI : I'm going next week also.. We are having a hard time picking a hotel. sandcastle or breakers? any ideas? also the millennium force is closed.. it has been down for days and they don't know when it will be back up.. I called.

Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy weather

Thanks to everyone for their advice/info!

Even though it rained for part of the day while at Put in bay . . we lucked out and had a perfectly sunny day for CP.

Some of my observations . . the Butterfly house on PIB was nice, we enjoyed the ferry ride and just looking around. Even with being there just for the day, I think overall PIB is more adult oriented. CP was great, lines weren't that long at all (went on a Thursday).

We stayed at the Comfort Inn on Milan Road . . very clean hotel. The free shuttle to CP was a wonderful service. Some minor dislikes . . beds were not that comfortable, blankets and towels were rough (daughter said they are "scratchy"), the breakfast area was not well organized for so many guests, no OJ for breakfast (fruit punch instead). Our room overlooked the outdoor pool/cabana bar so we had some noise to deal with at night. While I have a child myself, seems our biggest annoyances were due to the behavoir of other guests. Doors slamming at all hours, people running and yelling down the hall. Guess you can't hold the hotel accountable for the actions of some . . unless they post bouncers in the hall . . ha ha.

Overall we had a great trip. Thanks again.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy weather

We got there Monday night. checked into Sandcastle around 8 and my boys wanted to go to the hot tub before we got some thing to eat. We tried to go to the Seafood place at the marina but it was closed so went went to Famous Dave's. We ordered and then when they bought our food out said the kitchen was closing so we couldn't get anything else. They wouldn't even refill our drinks..

Tuesday we went to CP and it was sunny and the lines were starting to get long but then it started raining. Since it was so hot the rain felt nice and the crowds left. 30 minutes later the rain stopped and we were able to get right on everything with no lines. They told us the draggerster was the only thing that they will not run in the rain. If there is thunder they close the skyride...

Wednesday it rained pretty heavy for about 3 hours. We walked around in the old town shops and played games until the sun came back. Again we had no lines anywhere except the draggster.

Thursday we spent at soak city. We all got burned with sunblock on. Went to PIB that night and found out everything closes after 6 except the bars.. Lessons learned. CP is a hard place to find a glass of wine... I only could find beer except at Soak City. Sandcastle says they have a bar but it wasn't open the whole week we were there. They really need to have a way to feed people after 10pm... We had to go into town each night.

I broke my foot after week got home and I'm still peeling from the burn but.. Next year will be better.

8. Re: Rainy weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 16, 2009