We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

Just got back from CP (8/18-23). We visited three full days and one Starlight. Here is my take:

1) Complicated story, but we had multiple people staying at different times, so I got just one Platinum Pass for free parking and discounts, then some annual passes and some starlight and some day passes.

2) Did not utilize early entry, but we got FLP three days and it was worth it. Even though people were telling us we didn't need it, I think it was worth the money to not have to stand in line with my (always fighting) twin 7-year-old boys in melting Ohio weather for 45-90 minutes.

Highlights of FLP:

1) Literally walk up for Maverick. The FL goes up a separate way all the way to the turnstiles. Many other rides merge into the regular line about 15 min. before you get on the ride. This includes MF, GK, TTD, etc.

2) The longest wait was about 90 min. during our stay for GK and MF. We never waited more than 15.

3) Even on rides like Cadillac, Dodgem, Snake River Falls, MaXair, etc., the FLP was helpful. Many rides have queues in the blazing hot sun. Skipping the exposure to the heat with FLP was a huge plus.

On our last day, there was hardly anyone at the park (MF had no benefit of FLP one time that we went through), but we still were thankful we had it when we went to Maverick and GK. Bottom line: if it is in your budget, I recommend FLP even if it's not super crowded.

And I am not a beer drinker usually, but absolutely loved Summer Shandy at Last Chance Saloon!

54 replies to this topic
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

Great report! (Summer Shandy is delicious!!!! It's become a very popular summer beer in the midwest!)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

Thanks! We didn't discover the Saloon until our second to last day, so we pretty much beelined it there on our final day. Good stuff! Can't find it anywhere here (yes, I've already looked!)

Level Contributor
26 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

the shandy is tasty. they are making several flavors now.

i hate the FLP concept. it creates some sort of class system within the park, where those who have the money are no longer forced to wait, and the average joe and his family are left standing in the sun.

like they say, back in my day, we all learned the value of patience, and of taking our turn... the FLP just teaches kids that if you have the money, you can buy a shortcut.

i feel like the entire system is representative of the things that irk me off most about society these days.

of course, as i get older, i cant take as many rides as i once did, so i am ok hitting 20-25 rides on a weekday (i burn a vacation day to go once every 2 years). heck, i managed to ride gatekeeper twice with no more than a ten minute wait this year. meanwhile, some girl was out front of the line paying $5 to play plinko to skip to the front of the line.

-i must finally be a cranky old man

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

FLP can make the park money, but also make those who don't have it mad, and not return. There are other forms of entertainment out there trying to get our money. For example, I used to go on 4 roller coaster trips a year. Now it's 2, and 2 ski trips. Lift tickets are expensive, but waiting in line for the lifts are much less than roller coasters. So the parks will justify the FLP system, but it makes fans mad when they have to pay more for it, than a regular admission ticket.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

I used to feel the same way you do. I would actually snarl at the people that walked by the rest of us, sweating in the sun. BUT.... (karma is a you-know-what) I just bought my first pair of fast track tickets for me and my husband. I have lupus and cannot stand in the sun for excessive periods of time... and this is the best way to avoid that. If you want to talk about class system,- many people cannot even go to cedar point because of the cost- so, should we remove the park for that reason? I am looking forward to getting the most out of my visit

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

I used to feel the same way you do. I would actually snarl at the people that walked by the rest of us, sweating in the sun. BUT.... (karma is a you-know-what) I just bought my first pair of fast track tickets for me and my husband. I have lupus and cannot stand in the sun for excessive periods of time... and this is the best way to avoid that. If you want to talk about class system,- many people cannot even go to cedar point because of the cost- so, should we remove the park for that reason? I am looking forward to getting the most out of my visit

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

I totally agree with you Sarah. There are two sides to every story. My husband and I are not rich by any means - we are seniors living on pension and social security. We have taken our grandkids to CP twice in the past two years - granddaughters last year, grandsons this year. Both times, we have given them a choice - we can take our camper and pay much, much less for accommodations and be able to afford the FL passes. Or we can stay in a nice hotel with a pool, amenities, etc., but not get the FL passes. The FL pass wins hands down each time. So for six nights in the Sandusky area, our accommodation cost was $172. Staying in a hotel (5 people) for six nights would have been a minimum of $800, probably a lot more. We only ate out 3 times during our entire stay - the rest of the time we packed a picnic for CP, and/or ate at the campground. It's not a class system at all - it comes down to what we are willing to give up in order to be able to afford the FL passes. And we have never had anyone glare at us, or say anything to us although I did expect that the first time we used them (last year). We did have a couple of people ask us where they can buy them!

Another thing to consider when judging people who are using FL passes is how far have they traveled to get to CP? We drive 10 hours each way, so basically two days of our vacation are taken up with traveling. We usually only have 2 days at the park (and one at Soak City), so we have to be able to make the best use of our time - we can't just come back next week and catch the rides we missed.

That being said - you still have to decide if the cost is worth it for your group. Last year with our granddaughters, we knew they would ride everything, and the FL pass was worth every penny. This year, we had different issues. Our older grandson is very big and we knew he wouldn't fit on many of the rides. The other two grandsons were fine with size, but we knew that one of them would be afraid and possibly not ride many of the rides (the two younger ones are both 11). So on our first day to CP, I took the advice of another poster here (sorry I can't remember who!) and we didn't buy the passes for that day. We easily rode all of the smaller rides with little to no wait, which was very surprising since we were there on a weekend. The second day we visited, the park was more crowded, but not terrible. Still, the rides that we really wanted to go on had 1 hour to 1.50 hour rides. The lines for Raptor and Millineum were terrible, some others not so bad. We did wind up buying Fast Lane passes for all of us, and as I expected, one of the younger ones wouldn't go on the bigger rides, even though he had promised he would. Even so, the pass was good for some of the rides that are not quite as popular, such as Pipe Scream.

My advice would be to not buy them on-line in advance. It is cheaper to get them at the park anyway, because when you buy them on-line you are charged a processing fee.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

How much time do you wait in lines with the Fast Lane pass? Thanks!

DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

The fast pass PLUS was totally worth it! I know that many that who do not buy it are not fans of the fact that you can purchase this pass. We did and we loved it! I will give you 3 reasons to buy this pass. Fun, Efficiency, Shows.

FUN.....we went and did all the rides we wanted to. We never had to wait more that 20-25 minutes a ride, we went on July 4th. We moved at our pace but definitely had a rhyme and reason as far as the way we moved around the park. We were on our first ride at 10:00 (Gatekeeper). By 12:15 we had ridden in this order-Gatekeeper, Raptor, Millennium, Mantis, Maverick, and Mean Streak! We had so much fun and at our pace,

EFFICIENCY.....

The way that we moved around the park at all times had a reason and we were able to do as many rides as we wanted or really could. We ended up riding all the great roller coasters at least twice! We rode the Gate keeper, Millennium, and Maverick all 3times! We did not waste our time with the Iron dragon since it was not a fast pass ride and the wait was over 1/2 hour. We were exhausted by the end of the day. We were done! We left the park at around 9 and watched the fireworks from the parking lot! What a great day!

SHOWS....this was the best part of the fast passes we thought. We were able to take breaks and take in some shows thanks to the time value saved with the fast passes! We would have NEVER been able to ride all those rides and see the shows with out it. The shows were AWESOME! We saw 3 shows. The Western, the Broadway, and the Extreme. We loved them all but the Extreme show was the best. It is a must see.

All is All we had the greatest of days. It was all done on our terms and we left nothing on the table thanks to the fast pass! We hope this helps!

DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!

No more than 20-25 minutes for us. Many times less than 15!

Reply to: Cedar Point -- Fast Lane Plus is Definitely Worth It!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted