We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Topic
Public transport to Sandusky

I planned to go to cedar point and in August for a few days to enjoy the no.1 roller coasters in the state. I've booked a flight from Orlando to the Toledo, arriving at the TOL airport at 4:55 p.m. on 1 Aug. We don't have a car so we searched for the public transportation in the airport but no information is related to public bus or shuttles to Sandusky, or even from TOL airport to the downtown of Toledo. So I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is there any low cost transport (buses, shuttles) that serves in the TOL airport to Toledo city or Sandusky? If not, what are the choices and how much do they cost?

2. Other than greyhound, is there any kind of shuttles or buses to go from Toledo to Sandusky?

3. I found that the TARTA transit, no. 7, is a route nearest to the airport (from Industrial Park) to the downtown of Toledo. However, how can we go from the airport to the industrial park?

4. I'll stay in a hotel in Sandusky for three days, would hotels in that area provide shuttle services to cedar park? If not, is there any buses or shuttles? And also where are the stops?

5. I'll leave from Sandusky to Cleveland on 4 August, is there any public transportation to Cleveland at a low cost? If we take the greyhound bus, is it easy to go to the greyhound bus station in the Sandusky?

Sorry for so many questions because I was so worried. Thanks for reading all these. :)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport to Sandusky

Sunshine, most visitors to Cedar Point use cars, so it's likely that no posters on this forum have first-hand experience getting from an airport to Cedar Point, especially the smaller Toledo Express Airport.

However, here is the Toledo airport's ground travel web page. One limo service is listed. This likely is your best bet.

toledoexpress.com/Travellers/Ground_Transpor…

For hotels, my understanding is that no hotel offers shuttle service to the park. So your best bet likely is to stay at Cedar Point's Breakers Hotel.

Where do you want to go in Cleveland? There are shuttle services between Cedar Point and the airport, and likely downtown. The Red Line rail rapid runs from the airport to downtown. Search for "Cedar Point Cleveland Hopkins shuttle service."

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s303/Cleveland…

Greyhound may be an option, but likely is more time consuming. You could take the limo or taxi to the Toledo Greyhound station, and take a Greyhound bus to Sandusky, then a taxi from the bus station to Cedar Point. You may not save any money over taking a limo directly from the Toledo Airport to Cedar Point.

Hope this information helps you make your desired connections and enjoy Cedar Point.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport to Sandusky

Toledo is a city that has very poor public transportation. Even the vast majority of locals do not use our TARTA buses. The airport is outside the city and the buses do not service that area. The closest bus stop to the airport is probably about 7-8 miles away.

Are you able to rent a car? Then you also don't have to worry about staying at a Cedar Point hotel. You would also have the freedom to explore the rest of Sandusky. Sandusky has tons of other fun touristy places besides Cedar Point.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport to Sandusky

Really thanks for your information. :)

I can't drive but my husband can, but we are a bit afraid that the car company will be cheating, or ask for compensation of damages, or setting a high price for tourists like us (I've never rent a car before so I don't know much about that). So I would like to know, what is average daily cost to rent a car? Is it cheaper and saver to rent a car in the web (or walk in the car company)? Do we have anything important to know before we rent a car? Thanks a lot!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport to Sandusky

Sunshine, see the FAQ on renting in the upper right corner of the road trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Also post a question about how best to rent and about your other concerns in that forum thread. Foreigners actually can get better deals with all needed insurances through foreign aggregators, according to the experienced experts there. There are many threads on renting cars, so perhaps read through the road trips forum. You also can use the search engine at the top of the forum. Also see the FAQ about driving in the U.S.

You likely also could greatly enhance your trip by renting cars locally elsewhere on your visit to the U.S. Outside the largest cities, the U.S. evolved into a car nation.

Renting is the way to go from the Toledo Airport to Cedar Point. However, are you going to return to Toledo after visiting Cleveland? If not, you may incur a drop charge for one-way travel. Alamo may waive this fee for a foreign rental, according to posts that I've read on the road trips forum.

There's much more than Cedar Point to see in northern Ohio. E.g., there are ferries from Sandusky to the Lake Erie islands, including Put-in-Bay, a regional party island that bills itself as the Key West of the North Coast; Ohio Amish Country, the largest Amish community in the world, and Cleveland's attractions (it's a great place to see a Major League baseball game).

Check out "Things to Do" for Cleveland, including one of the nation's best and currently its most technologically advanced art museum with the nation's largest multi-touch screen. Also read through the Cleveland destination forum for threads that may be helpful.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g50207-Activitie…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g50207-i345-Clevel…

The Cleveland Museum of Art has no admission charge to its general galleries. It also has one of the most renown collections of Asian art, and has just recently opened several new galleries featuring part of this renown collection.

Nearby the CMA is Cleveland's Asia Plaza, which IMO features downtown Cleveland's best Chinese restaurant, if that would interest you. However, Cleveland is renown for its ethnic and mod ethnic cuisines, such as pierogies and brats at many restaurants, and even a pig's head at Jonathan Sawyer's Greenhouse Tavern. The West Side Market is one of the nation's best indoors food markets, featuring many ethnic food stands. The nearby Momocho is a popular "Mod Mex" restaurant and Sokolowski's University Inn is a legacy Polish-American cafeteria. Advance reservations are needed at many Cleveland restaurants (not at Sokolowski's).

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-d272156/Clevel…

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum also is in Cleveland.

If you like big bands or classical music, check out Blossom Music Center and the Blossom Music Festival in the following article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Good luck with your planning!

5. Re: Public transport to Sandusky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 15, 2014