We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief CP Trip Report - we just got back today

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Brief CP Trip Report - we just got back today

We left from Springfield IL to go to CP on Monday, the 17th. Had a flat on our camper on the way and that cost us two hours and $130, but we got there safely by 6 p.m. Set up our camper and the girls (ages 17/17/13) went swimming at the pool. The weather was perfect for camping!

Tuesday we used our 1 hour early entry to ride Maverick and Millenium, then activated our Fast Lane Plus passes. We rode Millenium and Top Thrill Dragster several times and then rode Maverick a couple of times, Gatekeeper, Mantis, Raptor, Magnum XL, Mean Streak, Blue Streak, etc. The Fast Lane Plus passes worked out great for us - I would definitely buy them again on future visits. Tuesday evening was very cool outside, a bit chilly for camping so no swimming for the girls that night. We only dinner in CP, and came back to the campsite for lunch. Ate dinner at Coasters and as expected, it was pretty costly, but they do give large portions. If we had known that they give you so many fries we would have only ordered 3 to split, rather than one for each of us because we wound up wasting a lot of food. On our way back to the campsite, the 3 girls all did the Rip Cord and had a blast!!

Wednesday we slept in as we knew we would be buying the Fast Lane Plus passes again and it is impossible to get 3 teen girls up and going anyway. We got to the park right at 10 as they open to the public and got our FLP passes (cheaper to buy them at the park rather than on-line, as there is a service fee when purchasing on-line). We rode all of the same rides again and split from the girls for a while to rest our feet by going to a show, which the girls had no interest in. We saw On Broadway (I think that is the name of it), and it was fantastic, much better than you would expect for an amusement park show. We would have loved to stay and see it again but had to get back to meet the girls. While we were waiting to ride Millenium, we were actually seated and strapped into the train, the train that left right before us got stuck on top of the first hill. We had to get out of the train that we were already seated in and we waited, and waited, and waited - for almost 2 hours. We should have given up and gone to do something else but we kept thinking that they would get it running again soon...well they finally did, but it wasn't soon. I don't know how calm I would have been stuck for almost two hours at that height. When the stuck train car returned to the station, everyone cheered for them! Fortunately, our train didn't get stuck at the top! Our granddaughters had gone off on their own with instructions to meet us at a certain time, and we gave them $$ for dinner. They went to Subway, and a six inch sub, chips and soda cost $17 each! Ridiculous. DH and I had been eating off and on at the park and didn't really eat a real meal as we weren't hungry enough. DH and I rode the train at night (to rest our weary feet!) and that was enjoyable. The first leg of the train trip isn't all that interesting, but the second part is cute and there are trees all lit up, very pretty. On the way back to the campsite, the two older girls wanted to do the Skyscraper ride and they screamed so much that one of them has been almost completely hoarse since then!! It was another cool night for camping but tolerable.

Thursday the 20th - this was our water park day. We had chosen this day as it was going to be the warmest. The waterpark is very nice, very clean and well maintained. The water was warm enough that we were comfortable in it even though the high that day was only about 78 (but very sunny). The girls did all of the slides, etc - DH and I stuck to the wave pool and two lazy rivers. We had fries and shakes there which were very good. After dinner at the campsite, we went to the park for the last time. Did some souvenir shopping and rode just a couple of rides as one granddaughter had gotten pretty sunburned and DH's feet were hurting badly at this point.

Pros: CP is a beautiful, well-maintained park. The employees were always friendly and we didn't see any problems with any guests. I can't imagine that anyone could come to this amusement park and not love it. There is something for everyone from toddlers to grandparents like us!

Cons: The cost of food is ridiculous. I know that when you are in an amusement park you will pay more for food, but come on - $17 for a 6 inch Subway sandwich and chips and soda? That is triple what it would normally cost! We did see some places that were a better value. There were a couple of hotdog places offering a hotdog, chips and soda for $6.59 which isn't bad at all - but we never could find those places when we were hungry.

CP has designated smoking areas, but we did see people ignoring that rule and nothing was done about it.

It seems as if every day, at least one of the major rides has a problem. The train car got stuck at the top of the incline on Millenium, TTD had a problem for a few hours one day while we were there, and for the first two days that we were there one of the major swing rides wasn't working at all (can't remember the name but it is located close to Maverick). But of course, I'd rather be safe than sorry so I am glad that CP takes safety seriously.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few details, but we had a wonderful trip and the girls are already talking about us taking them back again next year!

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief CP Trip Report - we just got back today

Jlr, thanks for taking the time for the trip report and for all of your other very informative posts!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief CP Trip Report - we just got back today

Great report! Wish more people would post their experiences. :)

Defiance, OH
Level Contributor
274 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief CP Trip Report - we just got back today

Thanks for sharing :) I am a smoker and it also ticks me off to see people smoking in areas they are not supposed to. It is people like that who break the rules that are going to eventually have it banned completely for the people that follow them. CP is pretty generous imo with providing a number of places to smoke so that you do not have to walk miles to find one, people that do this are just lazy and have no excuse.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
503 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief CP Trip Report - we just got back today

Awesome post!

5. Re: Brief CP Trip Report - we just got back today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 27, 2014