We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cedar point or six flags great adventure

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
cedar point or six flags great adventure

My family are all big roller coaster fans and our summer vacation will either be to Cedar Point or Six Flags Great Adventure NJ. My main concerns are crowds and cost. Has anyone been to both and what would you recommend?

Williamsport,Pennsyl...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

I may be a little biased when saying which park to go to, but Cedar Point is BY FAR the better park to go to. Cedar Point's staff are friendlier and act a lot more professional (I should know I worked there 4 summers) than the staff at Six Flags Great Adventure. SFGA does have some nice coasters (I was impressed with Nitro, and I couldn't tell you how Kingda Ka was because it was broken down BOTH times I went last summer). The lines move a lot faster at CP plus it is a lot cheaper cheaper than SFGA ($39.95 vs. $59.99), and you can get a coupon book from CP at their webpage cedarpoint.com which makes the price $32.95 for general admission. And the lodging, it was a nightmare trying to find lodging near SFGA. I had to stay about 35-40 miles from the park for about $100 a night compared to 1-3 miles from the park for a lot less ($50 to $80 per night). Overall, both have a nice selection of roller coasters, but CP is the better park....PERIOD!!!! SFGA was a disappointment. By the way, CP has been voted the best amusement park by Amusement Today for the last 8 YEARS!!!! Hope this helps. JM

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

thanks onein529, your answer contained alot of info. i`m leaning now towards Cedar Point. Can`t wait.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

Another vote hands down for Cedar Point. Cedar Point is such a clean, frriendly, fun place. Rides, activities, atmosphere, etc. are so much nicer than than any of the Six Flag parks. Being right on Lake Erie is really neat. Plus at Cedar Point I don't feel like I'm being ripped off for food, and the food tastes so much better at Cedar Point.than Six Flags. Six Flags food prices are outrageous, and Six Flags doesn't let you bring your own food in Cedar Point does. With more rides than any other amusement park in the world, Cedar Point is also better able to handle heavy crowds. I highly recommend Cedar Point. You won't be disappointed.

WV
Level Contributor
566 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

Dear batwoman,

My family visited both of these parks within a 2 month period in 2005. We are all coaster fans ages 35, 29, 14, 12 and we all agreed the Cedar Point was our favorite. Honestly, I could not see a big difference in the crowds at the parks but I remember the traffic being much worse driving to and from Six Flags Great Adventure. Every Coaster fan should visit Cedar Point - we were impressed!!

lansing, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

Cedar Point is by far the better choice........more coasters than any other park on the planet and it is very clean and friendly...Too much stuff to do in one day though so I would recomend getting a multi-day ticket

Morristown, NJ
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

I live in NJ, near GA and have been there about 40 times. Been to Cedar Point once and going back this Summer. CP is much better. GA is very expensive and there are frequent ride closures.

New York
Level Contributor
345 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

There is no comparison between the two parks. Cedar Point is by far the best. We would rather drive the 9 hours to Cedar Point than 3 hours to GA. CP is much safer, cleaner and rides are always working. They are very strict with their hieight requirements which is a good thing. Try the Midway restaraunt for a buffet which is very reasonable. Try to stay on the grounds it is a wonderful experience. Park your car and never move it. Besides the park there is the small beach on the lake, water park, miniature golf, Fridays and Famous Dave restaurants. If your looking for a great vacation you can't go wrong. We are thinking of going back this year. We usually go every other year but my kids (11 & 16) don't want to go anywhere else.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

I've lived here all my life, I've seen both parks change and grow. Hands down, CP is much better. If you have small children though SF is for them.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,291 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

Another vote for CP. you can do other things in the area too, there are beaches on Lake Erie - a nice one right at CP and a fine one in Huron just 15 minutes east, and there are islands you can get a ferry or boat to with restaurants, bars, golf cart rentals, more swimming, etc.

We've already beento CP 5 times this year :)

New York
Level Contributor
345 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cedar point or six flags great adventure

Where do you get the ferry to the other islands. What are some of the islands called? What is on the islands to see?: Thank you!!