We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does food really cost in the park??

Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much does food really cost in the park??

Hi, I am trying to weigh the advantages of staying at a Cedar Point property vs. an off park hotel. We have an almost 7 y.o and a 10 year old.

We currently have reservations at the Comfort Inn on Milan Rd. (I know it is not rated that great, but I have spoken with the manager twice and looked at more recent reviews, - it is supposed to be completely renovated and they are bending over backwards to get their reviews up, so??? ) It is 109. per night.

I keep thinking about the advantage of staying at the park because of being able to go back to the Breakers room or cottage at Lighthouse Point. I just can't believe the difference of like $200. per night more?? Can anyone help me justify the extra cost?

Thanks! And if you could relay the cost of some things to eat while in the park I would appreciate it. Also... we are planning on visiting on a Sunday night and all day Monday - July 17 and 18. thank you. Mary

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Point
Cedar Point
761 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
394 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does food really cost in the park??

You will be fine at the Comfort Inn on Milan Rd, IMO. It's the Comfort Inn on Cleveland Rd that people need to worry about. As for the extra cost of staying at Breakers or Lighthouse Point.... it just depends on what you're willing to pay versus what you want. When staying at a CP property, you have the convenience of being within walking distance, plus you can get early entry into the park versus regular ticket holders. To many, it's worth it.

Food in the park is expensive. I try to avoid eating there if at all possible. Think $20+ dollars for a large pizza, $12 for a chicken fingers meal, $10 for a cheeseburger meal. It's sit-down restaurant prices at fast food portions and quality. Again.... it all depends on what you're willing to pay. Personally, our strategy is to always eat a big breakfast, pack some snacks to take in with us, and then eat a lunch/dinner at 2 or 3 PM at the Midway Market buffet in the park. You get your moneys worth there if you go before dinner time. We also always buy one or two big souvenir cups for drinks. They're like $10 at first, but unlimited refills are only 2 or 3. To us, that's always worth it especially when going over a few days. Also, you can get free cups of ice water at any food vendor, you just have to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
394 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Lake Linden...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does food really cost in the park??

We recently visited Cedar Point (3 weeks ago). We personally like to have one meal in the park, as the variety is something that the kids look forward to, while knowing that it is going to be more expensive. Chicken sandwich combos at Chik-fil-A were close to $10. At another spot, soft drinks were $4. The Icees that the kids mixed themselves were expensive but they got to keep their cup and use them for a cheaper refill. I did see one vendor selling a hot dog, chips, and soft drink for $5.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Point
Cedar Point
761 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does food really cost in the park??

The $5 hot dog guy is usually in front of the Wild Mouse. We find the best price for the food you get is at the Midway Market Buffett.

They do have Subways in the park as well but way more expensive then the normal Subway. My daughter's friend bought a footlong and a lemonaide and it came to almost $19. You can get free cups of water if you just ask any vendor. Save money by not buying pop or other drinks in the park.

Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does food really cost in the park??

Ok, thanks for the Midway Buffet suggestions,,, can either of you remember how much that is for adults/kids? THANK YOU!

Mary

Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does food really cost in the park??

We were there a couple weekends ago. We ate at Pink's (the new hot dog place) ... we each had a hot dog, shared an order of fries and each had a pop. That set us back almost $30.

They have some chain places in the park (Subway, Chick-fil-a, Johnny Rockets) and from eating in those places outside CP I would say you can expect to pay about double inside the park than you would at the same chain outside the park.

Mentioned in this post
Johnny Rockets
Johnny Rockets
132 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
SE Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does food really cost in the park??

I wish I'd read this tip before we went - I would have gone to Midway Market!

Everything is crazy expensive. We grabbed dinner at Subway one evening. A 6" sub was between $6 and $7 (depending on the filling) and getting a footlong was $6.50 more! As my 13yo noted, they have less choice as well (e.g. only american cheese slices).

(The friends we went with packed an ice chest with food and retrieved it from the car as needed. I should have asked them for tips before we left!)

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does food really cost in the park??

We tended to find meals for about $10 (plus a bit more for a drink). For the amount you get this seems a bargain compared to theme park prices here in the UK. $10 for a meal at Panda Express, for the amount and the quite large (again, compared to the UK) choice was pretty good.

Mentioned in this post
Panda Express
Panda Express
73 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
8. Re: How much does food really cost in the park??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 05, 2012