We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandusky & Port Clinton

ct
Level Contributor
94 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Sandusky & Port Clinton

Looking to stat at Erie Islands Resort in Port Clinton thru Interval -- has anyone stayed there recently? What was it like? Was the Sandusky area at all effected by the recent hurricanes? Is Port Clinton a good place to stay with kids and how far is it to the main attractions in Sandusky? Thanks so much! Any help, thoughts, input is appreciated.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandusky & Port Clinton

I have not stayed at Erie Islands Resort, so I can't help you there. just check the reviews on hotels here on TA.

As for the rest: port clinton is about 15-20 minutes away from sandusky. Sandusky was not affected by the recent tornados (I'm assuming that's what you meant, not hurricanes). PC is a nice town for families, has a decent public beach as well.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandusky & Port Clinton

I am a lifetime resident here in Port Clinton.

I cant help you as far as Erie Islands Resort.

As far as beaches. I would suggest East Harbor State Park for the best beach in our area. The waters are much more open than the city beach on Perry Street in Port Clinton. The city beach contamination levels are normally up as our sewer system is dumped in the area of the city beach.The swimming area is littered with a lot of rocks under the water. While the East Harbor area is sandy and unlittered.

East Harbor has walking trails which can be fun for the kiddos. The beach is walkable. There are plenty of BBQ grills and picnik tables right at the beach. Right now there are no shower houses there as they have been closed.

We have a few fun thing for the kids. There is a Lighthouse State park in Marblehead with nice picnik grounds. Mine enjoy walking along the rocky shoreline. The view of the islands is from is nice.

African Safari is a nice drive thru zoo with animals roaming. Bring plenty of carrots, to feed the animals from your vehical. They sell them there but it is cheaper to bring your own.

There is a small water park here, but I would pay the extra few dollars and go to Cedar Point Water Park.

ct
Level Contributor
94 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandusky & Port Clinton

Thank you both. I dont see anything too recent on Erie Resorts and what Ive read elsewhere, it doesnt get the best reviews. Its the only timeshare thru Interval so this is iffy for me. Although the area sounds like a lot of fun. We'll see, nothings come thru yet on the timeshares.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandusky & Port Clinton

Huh. I had no idea there were any timeshare affiliated resorts/hotel on the northcoast. Interesting!

takeme2Coz... My family and I just did what you described this past weekend! We had a picnic at the Lighthouse (huge mayfly explosion there right now, spazzed my daughter out), took the road to Johnson's Island and walked through the Confederate Cemetary (my brother is a history teacher), and ended our day at the East Harbor beach. The only bad thing about the beach right now is that the regular bathrooms are out of service (like you mentioned), and there are only port-o-potties to use. They were dang near overflowing when we were there. But I was really impressed by the beach. Very shallow for a long way out, very clean, lots of people but still plenty of room for everyone. My kids loved it! I'm sad to hear the public city beach in PC has gotten so bad. The nature of the beast, I suppose though.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandusky & Port Clinton

IrishLake- Lol at least you found the portapotties. They are supposed to be giving East Harbor a facelift and redoing the beach back like it was in the 70's.

Lets hope shower houses are in that facelift.

6. Re: Sandusky & Port Clinton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 21, 2010