We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best campgrounds for tent camping?

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Best campgrounds for tent camping?

Does anyone have an opinion about which campground in the Sandusky area would be most amenable to tent camping? Perhaps one with some shady campsites and where we won't be close enough to hear the TV show playing in the neighboring RV?

We're heading to Cedar Point soon and would like to stay within 15-20 minutes of the park, if possible.

Thanks!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best campgrounds for tent camping?

hey lady! nice to see you here, I'm used to seeing you on the Gatlinburg forum.

There are two nice state parks nearby that offer some good camping. Catawba island SP, and East Harbor SP. East harbor is the larger of the two. both are near enough to cedar point.

there are a few independent places as well. camp sandusky has a good rep, but they are located a few miles inland. cold creek trout camp is on the west side, convenient to tofts dairy and margaritaville. i dont know anyone who has eve stayed there though. and bayshore estates is the most convenient to cedar point, but for some reason i'm thinking they dont have so much of a good rep.... bad reviews on here i think?

hope you find something suitable, let us know how it goes!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best campgrounds for tent camping?

have stayed at East Harbor, twice. Tried 2 different sections of the park. Hated it-- I have never stayed anywhere with such small campsites. You are packed in there like a checkerboard. Road in front of you, with other campers on either side AND behind you...

There's room for a tent and that's about it. had to set up the screen house on the pavement and barely got the car in the there. Next to us, we ended up with someone who had converted a school bus into a "camper" We laid awake till 2 am since they were drunk and thier fire ring was right next to our tent. And that was the FIRST time we went there :)

Decided to give it a 2nd chance and tried a different part of the park. same issues-- If you can find a different option, do so.

Park itself is pretty.

3. Re: Best campgrounds for tent camping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, January 20, 2010