We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

Has anyone stayed at a Cedar Point area motel that offered a shuttle service to the park? (I'd like to park the car and forget about it after check-in)

I found one property, the Rodeway Inn South, but it got horrid reviews on this site.

Any other suggestions?

Ontario
Level Contributor
228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

When I was there, I have seen the blue Cedar Point Shuttle, Im not sure if that only caters to the on site resorts though. But as for the bad reviews, I don't know what it is but most of the hotels in Sandusky have bad reviews. we stayed at the Breakers Express and it had bad reviews but I thought it was great. I mean the town of Sandusky itself dosen't have much to offer, if it wasn't for Cedar Point there probley wouldn't be as many hotels as there is.

Dorset, Uk
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

we're going end of august and have booked the holiday inn express, their website says they offer a free shuttle service to the park.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

If you're referring to the blue school buses you see around CP and Sandusky, those are usually for seasonal park employees that need lifts around town and from the dorms off Point to the park.

And Gecko, I'm really sorry but I have to stick up for Sandusky. Have you ever spent much time in the actual city of Sandusky? And I mean REALLY spent time there and put forth an effort to discover other adventures? I was born and raised there (and I'm only 25), and my family still lives there, and the town DOES have a lot to offer. You're right, a major source of revenue to the area is because of Cedar Point, and there would not be as many hotels if it wasn't for the park. But there are other attractions that bring in lots of people to the area. And a lot of hotels close in the winter, so they're not employing people all year and it's only about 5 months out of the year that Cedar Point brings in money to the area.

Historic downtown has tons of little shops, bakeries, museums and restaurants that fill a day with things to do, plus the great parks right on the Sandusky Bay. Lake Erie and the islands are also a huge, natural attraction. Lake Erie is the main reason the area even has Cedar Point at all. Everything comes back to the attraction of the lake. Area wineries (like Firelands and Sand Hill) are great places to tour and sample North Coast wine. And natural parks like Sheldons Marsh and Old Woman's Creek in Huron, Crane Creek and Magee Marsh west of Port Clinton, and the trout farm and Resthaven (fishing and hunting area) in the town of Castalia are huge attractions to wildlife lovers. Not to mention the new indoor waterpark resorts, of which I know Great Wolf is usually booked on weekends year around, and I'm sure Kalahari will be too. These people come to stay at these resorts because you don't have to leave the property to have fun, not because of Cedar Point.

The population is growing and the main source of employment in the area is industrial factories (like the 2 huge car manufactoring plants, GM and Visteon/Ford), not Cedar Point and hotels. And most of the large, nice hotels are owned by only a few prominant families. People are moving into the area because of what it has to offer year round, great schools (one of which is home to one of the best high school wrestling programs in the state, if not the country), good jobs, safe communities and the many opportunities BESIDES Cedar Point, not because OF Cedar Point.

So the next time you're in Sandusky, I challenge you to discover for yourself that there's a heck of a lot more to do besides Cedar Point, and then you can learn for yourself that Sandusky does indeed have a lot to offer.

Kalamazoo, MI
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

I am also looking for hotels with shuttles. We are planning on coming the 3rd weekend in August - but I have also seen mostly bad reviews of hotels in the area. I'm starting to think I will just wait til we get there and see for myself before buying. I have had alot of experiences where a hotel receives a bad review, but when I stay there it's always fine. I just know I cannot stay somewhere that is not clean and safe.

I know there is a hotel at the entrance to Cedarpoint - when you drive into the gate - there is water to the right and a the back of a hotel with balconies overlooking the water. Does anyone know what that hotel is and whether it's decent?

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

That is Castaway Bay, owned by Cedar Point, formerly the Raddison. See other postings. But that entire complex is not Castaway Bay, a lot of the stuff further back are privately owned condos and homes.

Ontario
Level Contributor
228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

IrishLake, I wasn't saying Sandusky is a dump, or a place people should avoid, not once did I hint of that. I know about the historic downtown and I have been there many times. Im a travel agent and I own several agency's in the area I live. I have travled far and wide, and been to many city's across the United States. And Sandusky is a nice city yes, but it's just like any other average Ohio City, other than Cedar Point it dosen't offer much to a tourist visiting from somewere far like Florida or California, Ontario or Europe. Now for people who live in that region, or the Sandusky area, and Cleveland area, im sure Sandusky is a place were they would go for a day out, or a short out of town vacation. But I wouldn't really reccomend Sandusky itself as a main place to visit, like Cleveland.

Now I will be honest, I wouldn't reccomend Sandusky to any of my clients as a place to visit for a long vacation other than Cedar Point. I would recomend The Islands or Cleveland but not the city of Sandusky. It's really just a place were people live and work and the income really dosen't come from toursim as you clearly pointed out, the GM plants and so on.

Im sorry that you took my other post personally, and if you found it rude im sorry although I didn't see anything wrong with it.

.~* Gecko :-)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

Hi gang-

Thanks for the feedback.

After some investigation and a phone call, I've settled on COMFORT INN CEDAR POINT MAIN GATE. (I see a link on this page...bottom left)

Nice gal that I talked to, and the price was right. Shuttle runs back and forth on the hour from 9 am until closing, and they offer 10 buck-off-coupons for the park.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cedar Point SHUTTLES from motels?

Here's another place to stay, w/o a shuttle or early admittance time slot though. But worth mentioning.

Maumee Bay State Park. Roughly an hour from Cedar Point Park. My family and I stayed at the Maumee Bay SP Lodge, 2 days/night prior to checking into the Kalahari in July. MBSP is very nice. It feels more like a well run hotel than a state park resort. Lots of do there. Cottages for rent as well. We had a simple, 2 full size bed room, w/ balcony, non water view, for about $159 a night. But with my newly acquired AARP card, we saved 20% on our room and my meals. The restaurant within the lodge is very good. Their buffet a pleasant surprise and delicious. The resort has an indoor pool, as well as outdoor, game room, racquetball courts, fitness room, games to borrow from the front desk, snack shop, gift shop, many common areas large groups can meet in and even carry out dinner, eating right there.

While I loved the Kalahari, I also enjoyed Maumee, very much.

Mary