We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Wolf or Kalahari in Sandusky?

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great Wolf or Kalahari in Sandusky?

Has anybody been to both Kalahari and Great Wolf Lodge? If so, which would you recommend for a family with a 5 and 7 year old. (The 5 year old is still not a great swimmer. She can go under water though.)

Any advice would be appreciated. I have checked the rates and they seem to be comparable.

ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Wolf or Kalahari in Sandusky?

We recently went to Great WOlf and had an EXCELLENT time. The food was overpriced and gross so bring your own or order out.

Kalahari looks very nice too. We plan on staying there this winter. My husband recently walked through it on a business trip to Sandusky and said it looked even better than Great Wolf.

So in the prices are comparable, Kalahari is brand new, bigger and has more things to do.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Wolf or Kalahari in Sandusky?

My family of 4 (mom, dad, 2 teens, 15 and 18) just stayed at the Kalahari. We had a great time and I will post my own personal review of the resort. I honestly cannot find anything to complain about - staff is very accomodating, polite, always saying hello, how is your stay going, etc. Entire facility is clean, well maintained. Now on our end of the hotel, one room must have needed repair (it's only 2 months old) but they kept that room's door closed and got the word done as quickly as possible. I was guessing something went wrong with plumbing. Hotel manager was right there, with repairmen making sure the work was getting done right. Even the carpenters smiled at us - covered in dust, toolbelts on, but clearly they must have been told to smile and customers and greet them. I did a whoa, each time they did that!

Now to your question....both my daughters said the Kalahari is perfect for teens around 15. My 18 year old got a little bored and actually just wanted to lay out, at the outdoor pool, listening to her music, reading a magazine! The 15 year old couldn't get enough of the park. But she did say some of the rides were geared for older kids.

Great Wolfe might be better suited for your children's ages and I have never read anything negative about that resort. Everyone I've talked to that have stayed at one, gave glowing reports.

I'm from Cincinnati and Kings Island is adding a Great Wolfe Lodge soon, opening in 2006 I think. We've already said our 5 year old niece would love it and we want to take her.

If you booked at the Kalahari, there are rides or water areas for younger children. They won't be bored but I'm sure they wouldn't want to ride the Zip Coaster - it sprays you in the face, the entire ride I was told.

OhioValleyMom

3. Re: Great Wolf or Kalahari in Sandusky?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:40 pm, July 31, 2005
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Wolf or Kalahari in Sandusky?

We got our Kalahari room, both nights, for $199 each. Which includes the water park admission, family of 4. I was quoted $199 on the phone when I booked 2 weeks prior to our stay, but when checking in, the second night was upped to $229. I explained the original quoted price of $199, for both nights. The manager quickly corrected that. Of course in the end each night was over $199, high tax and all. But if you ask for this weekday rate, for a very basic room (the Desert), you might get it.

Also the Hut is another basic room, with a balcony but w/o a pull out sofa. It's supposed to be less than the Desert Room, somewhere around $179 a night (that's not a weekend price). I saw the Hut room's layout and it looks quite roomy. We almost wished we had taken that room, to get the small balcony and give up the sofa (we could have brought along a twin air mattress).

Mary

ohio
Level Contributor
216 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Wolf or Kalahari in Sandusky?

We have been to Great Wolf twice in Sandusky and Kalahari intWisconsin Dells. Both were wonderful. If you watch for specials the prices are reasonable. Kalahari allowed guests not staying at the hotel to purchase day passes, I do not think the Great Wolf allows this. I think you'd be happy at either, however, we liked the Kalahari a little better and thought the food was MUCH more reasonable at the Kalahari.