We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:58 am, November 29, 2011
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,428 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do

hi brewer. 2 days left over gives yo utime to hit the lake erie islands. you could do Put-in-Bay or Kelley's Island or both, one island each day.

Put-inBay offers a bit of a Key West atmosphere... rent bikes or golf carts during the day and there's lots to see as far as cave tours, winery tours and tastings, go to the top of Perry Monument, rent jetskis or kayaks, etc... nighttime the bars come to life. The Beer barrel is home to the worlds longest bar, Frostys has the best pizza ever, lots to do, lots of partying. just dont miss the last boat off the island!

Kellys Island is much more low-key and quiet. can rent bikes and golf carts as well. go see the best north american example of glacial grooves, tours the little shops, another winery, play mini golf, walk on the beach at the state park, etc.

both islands offer ferrys to take your car over if you'd like, but its much more fun to rent a golf cart.

as far as restaurants... there's several "nicer" ones in the area. I love Mon Ami winery on Catawba Island. Also Bay Harbor Inn (seafood and steaks) on the cedar Point Penninsula is very good, as well as Marconi's (italian) in Huron. Other than that, there's just about every chain steak and "american" restaurant you can imagine. i'd go to marconi's or mon ami.

another popular local place to go is Margaritaville on the west side of town on route 6. It's been around for ever, long before Jimmy Buffet put a copyright on it (though it is a Jimmy Buffet type place known for it's burgers and Margaritas). the texmex food options are crap, but chips and salsa are good and so's the burgers. and of course, every kind of margarita you can imagine. it has a waterfall right next to the building, and a nice outdoor bar above the waterfall. great atmosphere. Tofts Dairy is located on route 6 and you'l pass it on your way to margaritaville. the best ice cream ever, and the servings are HUGE. a small is "2 scoops" but it's really more like 5.

Also, if you're coming to ohio soon... in a few days i think you said? bring warm clothes! the weather on lake erie is about 10 degrees colder than it is 10 miles inland. so this time of year, i'd wear jeans to CP with comfy tennis shoes (dont wear sandals, you'll kill your feet), a tshirt, and bring a sweatshirt along as well. same thing if you go over to the islands. dress warmly for this time of year... highs are only in the 50's and low 60's.

i dont know if hotels give discounts on 2 day tickets... i'd just stick with the ones from CP for $70, it's a decent deal.

2. Re: things to do

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do

Hello to both

bnbrewer:

My friends and I will be there this weekend. Are you there this weekend? Where are you staying?

IrishLake:

Great info. How far are those islands from the Cedar Point hotels? How late are they open?

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,428 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do

lol cb, i have to laugh at your "how long are they open" question... 24/7 baby! however, if you dont have accomodations on one of the islands, it's not a good idea to stay overnight. i think the last ferry off the island leaves at about 11 or 12. to get there, you'll take route 2 west out of sandusky to port clinton, then take the jet express form there. check out the websites below for the best transportation information for PutinBay.

check out

www.putinbay.com

www.put-in-bay.com

www.pibinfo.com

www.putinbayonline.com

http://www.jet-express.com/ (the main ferry boat to the island)

for kelley's Island info, look at

www.kelleysisland.com

www.kelleysislandferry.com

to get from the Ceadr Point hotels to the ferry dock for either island will take 30-45 minutes.

Reynoldsburg,OH
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to do

If you are going to hit the islands you may want to do that on the weekend and do CP on your other days. The PIB season is really just getting going and is very slow during the week until after Memorial weekend. After that it is pretty busy 7 days a week.

I suggest The Roundhouse and The Boathouse for entertainment unless The Menu's or Danger Brothers happen to be at the Beer Barrel.

6. Re: things to do

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,428 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: things to do

brewer, that would be African Safari wildlife park in Port Clinton... you drive through a huge enclosed area and they give you a small bucket of food, and you feed the giraff, zebras, buffalo, llamas, alpacas, camels and other deer-like animals from africa from your car. and you can ride a camel if you'd like (they really stink though, and this is coming from a field biologist, lol). it's fun for the kids, but as i've grown up, kinda sad for an adult... not sure what the cost is though.

Reynoldsburg,OH
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: things to do

I would do PIB on Sunday then. There are still enough people there to have fun but I would get there as early as possible in the afternoon.

The safari thing must be African Lion Safari. Great for kids but last time I was there I thought that the animals looked like they weren't taken care of very well. It kind of ruined my memories about it from when I was young.

Kelley's Island is more low key anyway. You can go there any day of the week. Do the sightseeing stuff and grab a bite to eat The Village Pump. They have the absolute best perch and Oh....The BEST Brandy Alexanders in the world!!!!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,428 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: things to do

TL, thats what i was thinking... African Safari is sad now... i remember they used to have elephants and you could ride them... i have pics of me riding one when i was like 7. fun as a kid... makes you feel bad as an adult, i feel bad for the animals.

10. Re: things to do