We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

I'm doing a roadtrip from Toronto with my son and his friend (17 &18) before they start university in September. We're going the last week of August (Wed-Thursday) which looks like a very quiet time for the park. We plan to stay at the Breakers so non-roller coaster mother can wander the park but go back to hotel whenever I want. Before I book the hotel, I wanted to get some feedback on whether buying the passes with the hotel reservation is the best deal or whether there's a better deal when the park is so quiet. I'm just concerned that if there are 2 days of rain we may not get to do much at the parks and we're out 3 tickets for 2 days. Also, we know the park hours are shorter these days, but so should be the lines. Are there any other "cons" to going at that time. What rides beside the ferris wheel and kiddie rides can I do? Thanks for any suggestions.

7 replies to this topic
US
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

I wouldn’t buy the passes ahead of time. Use the early entry- you can knock out a bunch that first hour...or you can use it waiting in line for Steel Vengeance- that’s the decision to make. We skipped SV the first hour and hit Millenium Force and Valraven *2 before getting in line for Top Thrill Dragster to ride at opening (with no line). Things tend to be quiet the first few hours and you can get a lot done. Exception is Steel Vengeance. The line during our mid-July stay was 1.5 hours all day. We had fast lane plus and were able to ride 3 Times with no more than a 15 minute wait per time. That was nice. But truly, other lines were fine.

I’m a coaster rider. There are non coaster rides but if you can try any of the coasters, I recommend it. I find Millenium Force to be the smoothest and least scary. :)

You can always buy fast lane plus upon arrival if you decide it’s needed.

Edited: 8:06 pm, July 26, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

Thanks for the suggestions. We don’t plan to buy the fast passes. I should have said tickets. Should I buy from hotel as part of room or from another source.

US
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

Ah. I see. I saw “Passes” and figured you meant fast lane. Buy your park tickets from the hotel. They’re much cheaper than anywhere else and you get free admission to the water park when you buy the tickets at the hotel. Just buy them on arrival.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

Thanks - just confirmed that it only costs a couple of $ more when we get to the hotel so we will go that route. Thanks again for your input. Who knows maybe I will go on a roller coaster after all.

US
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

Have fun!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
6. Re: Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

Thanks UKMay05 for the question and bchbetha for the tips! I am also planning an August trip and plan to stay at Breakers for the beach and ease of getting into and out of the park.

1 post
7. Re: Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips

We live in Michigan, and go the week before Labor Day every year. Ohio schools are back to school, so the park is not busy at all. Small kids can walk right onto the children's rides, and most of the bigger attractions' lines are less than 30 minutes. Usually, you can book at The Hotel Breakers with very short notice at the end of August (armed with fairly reliable weather forecast). The hours are shorter, and there are very few shows available at this time of year though. We've gone a few years, and frankly the wind and temperatures have never been ideal for the outdoor water park. Good time for the park though.

Reply to: Cedar Point/Breakers - Late August tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted