We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Outside Chicago?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Outside Chicago?

To save money on parking and lodging, we are thinking of staying outside Chicago for our upcoming visit. I will greatly appreciate if anyone recommends any surrounding neighborhood. Oak Brook came up in the searches; any other? How is the traffic in general going in and out of downtown Chicago?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Linda

(Family of 4)

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Oak Brook
Oak Brook
DuPage County, IL
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Outside Chicago?

What does this have to do with Sandusky?

Mentioned in this post
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Outside Chicago?

You definitely need to ask this in the Chicago forum. Not Sandusky, Ohio.

(But for the record, I've never experienced much of a discount staying outside of the city, and traffic will be redic. You'd be better off taking public transport).

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Outside Chicago?

Yes, post your question in the Chicago forum. Traffic is really bad. Parking is really expensive. Decide what you wish to see before hand. If things like the Broukfield Zoo, or attractions in the west, northwest, and northern burbs than it makes sense to stay outside the city. But if doing downtown attractions, most in Chicago suggest staying downtown, parking once (as most parking you pay $25 every time you enter, though the price varies and some hotels offer in and out privaleges) and using Uber, taxi or public transportation due to traffic delays and parking cost. On our countles trips to Chicago we stayed in the burbs too. But after factering traffic delays (at times an hour per ten miles) and parking fees (which four parking stops could cost $100) and the insanity of driving downtown (cant look at maps while enroute there and gps is not always reliable) i question if we made the right choice in staying in the burbs. Paying more in Chicago sometimes is paying less after all is considered. So, i wont answer a yes or no, but, be forewarned on what to expect and what not too. Also, use caution in driving in Chicago. Roads narrow quickly, traffic signals are much in variation, and some roads have upper and lower levels. Also, pedestrian traffic is thick so never back up if too far out in an intersection that is stopped with traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Outside Chicago?

But knowing your from the east coast this is probably no new news for you. :-)

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
523 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Outside Chicago?

This is the Sandusky, OH forum. But I have been to Chicago. Traffic is always heavy but it's heavier around going to work and coming home from work. If you know the general area and what type of hotel you like to stay in try Priceline. You also have to consider parking fees when staying in Chicago or visiting. If you know what you want to do, it might be to your benefit to stay right where you want to go. We have stay at the Emabassy downtown. You get drinks at night and breakfast in the morning. One of the Embassy in Chicago is within walking distance to the pier. I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Outside Chicago?

Thank you for everyone replies! I am so sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. I was also researching for a stay in Sandusky (Cedar Point) as we drive from Chicago back to Washington, DC.

After reading everyone's input, we are now leaning towards staying in the city. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Point
Cedar Point
8,297 Reviews
Sandusky, OH
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging Outside Chicago?

We recommend staying downtown Chicago.

Staying in the Burbs is a false economy.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
8. Re: Lodging Outside Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 05, 2018