We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

buffalo, ny
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

We are planning a trip to PIB, Ohio in mid August 2011 for a large family of 15. The youngest is 10 and then it goes up to teens, adults, even grandparents. Can anyone tell me if it is a family type place or just a party place? Also, i understand there is a ferry, but how do you get all your food or whatever over?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

It is definitely still a family place, just with a lot of party options. If you are renting a property, I think you will really enjoy yourself.

As for the ferry and bringing your food, there are a couple options. There are 2 ferry lines; the Jet Express (people and bikes only), and the Put in Bay Ferry (people, cars, trailers, bikes, etc).

your food you should purchase beforehand, as much as possible, because the price goes up once your'e on the island. pack it into coolers and shopping bags and either carry it with you, or pack it into one or two cars and bring them over.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

Consider Kelleys Island as an alternative. There is ferry service between the two islands.

…chicagotribune.com/2009-08-30/travel/090827…

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

Put-in-Bay is also a family place, recently, two Family Fun centers have grown; putt-putt, caves, gem mining, Butterfly House, go carts, arcade games, plus there are parks, family events, kayaks, jet skis, parasail, caves, the Memorial, wildlife museum, fish hatchery. The parties exist too, but they're centered in the town/bar area on summer weekend nights. The Miller Ferries from Catawba carry people, cars, bicycles, luggage & freight. If you come without a car with a lot of goods, tell the ticket booth attendant to hail a cart to help transport your items aboard. Or, if you bring a car, you' won't have to worry about loading items on the boat, & you'll save the cost of renting island transportation. In summer peak you may encounter a car waiting line on Thurs. pm + Fri. going to Put-in-Bay & again on Sun. coming off Put-in-Bay. There's a grocery, carry out + hardware store on the island, & reasonably priced.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

You will probably get many different opinions on this subject. I will share mine with knowing I will probably get people who disagree with me. To answer your question I would need to know where you are staying. As Irish points out if you were renting a property then I would say it would be fine. If you are staying in a hotel downtown my personal opinion would be no.

I have been to PIB for the weekend with adults only and loved it. We had a great time BUT it was a HUGE party and I would not have wanted my child with me. During the week it may be completely different but I’ve only been on weekends so I don’t know the difference.

That being said I did bring my daughter, I believe she was 9 at the time, for just a day trip. We took the Miller Ferry that docks at the back of the island away from the downtown. We rented a golf cart, toured Perry’s Cave, went gem mining and played miniature golf. We had a ton of fun! I would go again with children but only for a day trip unless I had lodging away from the downtown.

We drove by downtown on our golf cart around 4:30-5:00 and it was already looking pretty rambunctious. During the day PIB is fine but at night the town is a gigantic party. I agree that Kelly’s is more family friendly but as far as islands are concerned I would suggest Mackinac Island in Michigan.

buffalo, ny
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

Thank you all for your opinions; i truly appreciate it!

We are staying at the Put In Bay resort but in one of the villas. Again, i hope this was a good choice; i can cancel for a small penalty.

Again, we are going Sunday through Wed so i'm hoping the partying would subside.

buffalo, ny
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

Also, on the food....

We wanted to bring chicken for grilling and snacks for kids, can that type of stuff by purchased at the store on the island?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

Yes, there is a grocery store near the beer barrel bar.

port clinton, ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

Perhaps you would like Lakeside, Ohio. Beautiful historical

Lakefront community with nightly entertainment, and tons of daily entertainment for kids of all ages. A "step back in time" with kids still riding bikes, ice cream stores, miniature golf courses and movie theatre. There are daily ferries to PIB or Kelleys Island for a day trip. Have fun!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
738 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

Sunday through Wednesday should be quiet ... BUT all it takes is one Villa full of partiers to be loud and crazy at the pool or until 3am. If you can book a private house or B&B away from downtown, you would have less to worry about.

For a large group like yours, I'd recommend loading up a car or truck with all your coolers, supplies, clothing, etc. and take the Miller Ferry over. That would be much more convenient than lugging all your equipment to and from the ferry, and shopping for groceries for 15 ppl once you're there.

As others have said, there is plenty for the kids to do during the day, and possibly even check out some live music at night (the Boardwalk and some other restaurants MAY let kids in). The biggest downfall for kids is that there is no beach, and most of the pools are adult oriented (ie. swim up bars, drinking, and music).

Also, not sure if you're already planning it or not - but Cedar Point is right down the road.

buffalo, ny
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: questions on Put In Bay, Ohio

Thanks once again for the awesome advice!

Now i see there is parasailing and kayaking? If there isn't a beach where do you do those activiites?

thanks again.

Get answers to your questions about Put in Bay