We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quiet tent camping?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
quiet tent camping?

We are tent campers. Does anyone have a suggestion for a place with quiet tent camping?

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
503 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quiet tent camping?

We have RV’d at East Harbor State Park (Port Clinton) and Hocking Hills State Park (Logan) and both of those have been very quiet. We have Camp Sandusky in our area. It’s right off of Route 2 so I am not sure how the noise would be from the cars. But it’s a nice campground with a free pancake breakfast. Kelly’s Island State park also looked nice but I have not camped there. Are you looking just in Port Clinton?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quiet tent camping?

Thanks for your reply. We are looking in the Port Clinton/Lake Erie area. We have a tent and are always searching for a quiet evening and sleep....not a place that has lots of activity.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quiet tent camping?

GM, is Camp Sandusky the one on rt 6 by Margaritaville? I've always wanted to stay there, seems nice!

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
503 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quiet tent camping?

It’s on 101 and Route 2. You can see the cabins from Route 2. If you have children; they have a nice playground. They also have two pools. Margaretville would be further down Route 2 to Route 6. Very close.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quiet tent camping?

Ok, I know that one. (I dont pass by that way very often!) There's one right on Route 6/Venice Rd right on the water that I'm thinking of.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quiet tent camping?

Maumee Bay State Park and Geneva State Park also have lakeside camping. I've never camped at either, but the state parks that I've camped at have been quiet due to ranger patrols, but that was before state budget cutbacks in recent years. Most Ohio state park campsites are pretty small, but adequate IMO.

East Harbor State Park has a beautiful beach and nice trails if you want to stay as close as possible to Port Clinton (btw, visit Jolly Roger in Port Clinton for good yellow perch and onion rings).

Edited: 6:01 pm, August 07, 2012
Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
503 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quiet tent camping?

Irishlake, the campground you are talking about is the Cold Creek Trout Camp. It mostly has seasonal campers/trailers but will take some campers. I have not camped there but have fished there. We caught a pretty big trout. You can fish there for $5.00 and cook out. The stream from Margaretville meets Lake Erie there.

I have camped at Maumee and Lake Geneva State parks. I love both of these State Parks. We have a 40 foot RV and I thought the sites were good sized and a good distance from your neighbor. Tents usually camp in a different area unless you want electric. So I am not sure how close they put the tents together in the tent areas. I don’t think you can go wrong with a State Park. Maumee has trees and shrubs in between each site. (Having said that they do not have much shade there.) And Lake Geneva did have a wooded area. Both are near the water but your camp site is not on the Lake Erie. At Maumee you can pick a site on ponds which is nice to be able to fish from your site.

I also visit Jolly Rogers when in Port Clinton. They have really good fish. I like the waffle fries. (no need to visit Chick Fil- A) Just kidding.

I love camping and try to camp every weekend. You can e-mail me directly at jayme@ghostlymanor.com.

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: quiet tent camping?

I was referring to Geneva State Park on Lake Erie. It's located east of Cleveland, not close at all to Port Clinton. However, the beach is only 300-feet long and gets crowded. It's in a noted winery district.

…state.oh.us/parks/…Default.aspx

I suspect GM is referring to the same park when talking about Lake Geneva state park .

I'm not a big camper, but I've also camped in private campgrounds with tent spaces as small as in state parks. What I prefer obviously, are those large private campgrounds where the spaces are 2-3 times as large, and spacing is even greater when you camp during the week. I doubt if large tent spaces are available anywhere in Ohio in a prime location such as adjacent to a Lake Erie beach.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: quiet tent camping?

Have you ever checked Woodalls.com or the AAA camping guide?

You might be able to find more enjoyable, and more expensive, private campgrounds near Lake Erie beaches.

Often local county, city or township beaches are very good. In some counties, they may be better maintained than state parks due to state budget cuts. Some counties have county metropark systems that often are well funded with their own dedicated tax levies.

Here's the Ohio DNR web guide to public beaches for Ottawa County, where Port Clinton is located.

ohiodnr.com/Coastal_Main_Menu/…Default.aspx

Edited: 10:24 am, August 08, 2012
Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
299 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quiet tent camping?

Is Camp Sandusky the one with those little yellow-ish cabins that you can see from Rt 2 as you drive by? I have always wanted to stop there and maybe stay, it looks really neat! I saw that they do have tent camping there as well last time I looked. And relatively close to Port Clinton AND Sandusky. Has anyone here actually stayed there before?

(and for GM, the closest Chick-Fil-A is up in Toledo, but I was lucky enough to be down in Columbus last week so got to eat a GREAT spicy chicken sandwich there! And waffle fries of course :) )

OH, and one other thing, on topic... Cedarlane RV Park! It is on Catawba Island and has a great pool and family area, and offers RV, cabin, and tent camping. How could I forget, I pass it every time I drive to/from Put-in-Bay! It always looks busy but not crowded, so it must be decent. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Cedarlane RV Park
Cedarlane RV Park
55 Reviews
Port Clinton, OH