We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Love Bugs

Pittsburgh
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Love Bugs

Can someone tell me when the bugs arrive in Port Clinton and Put in Bay. Was there once when they were in Port Clinton and planning to go sometime this spring/summer.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Love Bugs

You mean the mayflies? It's hard to pinpoint exactly when they get bad, and the areas where they frequent can change as well, but anytime during the last week of may through the end of June can see a big mayfly population explosion.

Port Clinton, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Love Bugs

The Mayflies, or Fishflies. this year have just started coming. They're late. They usually come by Memorial Day through June. But this year it's June 6th so I'd expect to see them until the 4th of July at least.

Mayflies are at their worst if you stay somewhere by the lake. If you stay at a hotel off the water you'll be fine. But, if you like the lake then you'll be attacked by Mayflies.

Hope It Helps!

canton, ohio, USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Love Bugs

We stayed at a condo in PC and mayflies are in full force now. Keep in mind they are smelly when wet and a nuisance, but they are harmless. They do not sting or bite. Actually if you look at one individually, they are kind of cool looking. But, they lose the coolness vibe when they are swarming by the thousands. Personally, I can handle them during the day, but at night when they swarm around the light, I stay inside.

Edited: 11:24 pm, June 24, 2011
Latrobe...
Level Contributor
367 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Love Bugs

I just got back from Port Clinton yesterday afternoon. The Mayflies were there but not really terrible. However, we went to Put In Bay on Thursday and they were horrible. Everywhere you went, you saw people "grooming" each other primates picking the bugs off. We took a tour of the island and went past houses and vehicles that were absoutely covered with the Mayflies. You had to brush off your seat before sitting down and they kept flying in your face.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Love Bugs

Once upon a time, in the not too distant past, there were very very few mayflies. Mayfly species are very delicate in their aquatic life stages (nymphs). Too much pollution killed the majority of them off. A healthy mayfly population is indicative of a healthy aquatic environment. So in my book, though they're annoying, mayflies = good news!!!!!!!

6. Re: Love Bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, June 27, 2014