We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No camping at Kings Island Shame on you for being so Greedy...

Indiana
8 posts
Save Topic
No camping at Kings Island Shame on you for being so Greedy...

It started out the KOA Campsite connected to Kings Island was very nice I know it had been there since 70's when I started going there probably has been there even longer. It had a pool, nice basketball courts, volleyball courts and the stay was $12.00 a night (Cant beat that for some outdoor fun). Kings Island saw it was a $$ maker so they needed to get there hands on it so which when they did the price went up to $18.00 a night they kept the pool open for only one year I guess they took the pool again to make more money if they did not offer the pool at the campsite then people would have to go to the waterpark. I guess eventually they decided to take the fun away all together for those families that liked to camp and also keep in mind alot of people cant afford to take there families to these big hotels. Well guess what they now are making our campsite which we have been going to since the 70's into a big fancy hotel with indoor waterpark which again will be profitable for them but what about the little guy that can't afford the Big Hotel prices sorry your out of luck this Big Hotel is for the families that can afford a 200 a night bill and too bad for those family camping memories the outdoor adventure is over isnt that sad for many families it is and so unfair for the ones who dont have the Money to spend at these huge hotels so I say Shame On You Kings Island for taking away the fun for the Campers.....

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No camping at Kings Island Shame on you for being so Greedy...

I'm pretty sure they are rebuilding the campground on another part of the KI property. I would check out the website or look at other posts on here, but I'm almost positive they're rebuilding new campgrounds on the rear of the PKI property.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No camping at Kings Island Shame on you for being so Greedy...

Lifelong Cincinnatian here and mom of 50. I also heard KI wanted to find another location for a new campground. The site where the old one sits is perfect for a new hotel since it's on the same side of the street as KI and easy for patrons to walk or take a short shuttle to the park and also for short breaks during the day in their hotel room (similar to what Disney has done). Focus will probably be in building Great Wolf Lodge but maybe if you're lucky, they'll also begin building the new campground site too. I'm not familiar with the land surrounding KI but I do know as soon as I read where GW would sit, it made complete sense to me.

I don't think KI wants to eliminate this affordable way to stay nearby and take in the park for more than one day. I had the impression they want to keep the campers happy, while building a new resort at the same time. Had the campground sat where the KI Inn sits, I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

So don't lose hope just yet. If I see any local newspaper articles I'll post a link for them.

OhioValleyMom/Mary

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No camping at Kings Island Shame on you for being so Greedy...

Re-read my post....I don't have 50 kids...LOL Of course you figured out I'm 50....pre-senioritis there....

Anyway, my main point was don't lose all hope yet. I did read somewhere in the Cincinnati Enquirer Business section maybe, KI will be building a new campground, close to the park, but they wanted the land it currently sits on, designated for a new hotel resort - the Great Wolf Lodge. I'm sure a new campground won't have the familiar feel the old one did, but hopefully they'll build a nicer one?

Mary