We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kings island vs cedar point

Davenport Ia
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
kings island vs cedar point

My family and I are doing a long weekend very soon - Friday to Monday. Our children are 10 and 12 (girl and boy). I am curious as to opinions on which amusement park would be the better choice. I am not a huge fan of roller coasters, but my husband and children are. We would probably be driving in on Friday, amusement park one day and then waterpark the next and then probably back to one or the other til early afternoon before we drive back home. This is our summer vacation so we are trying to make sure we make the better choice.

Posting question to Sandusky forum also

Save Reply
1. Re: kings island vs cedar point

I have gone to Cedar Point frequently since I was a child. Last year my daughter and I decided to do something different so we went to Kings Island instead. We absolutely loved it! We spent one day in the amusement park and then a short while in the park the next day before going to the water park and then back to the amusement park after the water park closed. My daughter really loved the boogie board surfing in the water park! It's nice that both parks are included in the admission vs. Cedar Point where each park has it's own admission. The day we left we drove over the border into Kentucky to go to the Newport Aquarium. That was a really cool place too. We liked King's Island and the Newport Aquarium so much that we are planning an identical trip with my niece in a few weeks. My daughter is 10 and my niece is 13. My daughter really liked the Face Off roller coaster. One note of caution: Be careful about the Lara Croft Tomb Raider ride. I thought it would be like the Indiana Jones ride at DisneyLand.....but it was nothing like it! Our "car" was flipped upside down and stayed there for quite a while....definitely not what I was expecting!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kings island vs cedar point

Kings Island is a very good park but you can't beat the collection of roller coasters at Cedar Point (Cedar point has better food too). The problem with water parks that are included with park admission is that they are way overcrowded on weekends and holidays. Shoulder to shoulder people in the wave pool, hour plus lines for most slides and no place to sit unless you get there first thing in the morning when the water park opens. One advantage you get with Cedar Point is that you can stay on-site and get the added benefit of 1/2 hour early admission to ride a couple of rides with little or no lines. If you've never been to Cedar Point you owe yourself a trip to the coaster capital of the world.

Regina - Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kings island vs cedar point

Hi there,

I've been to both parks, and loved them both. But if I hadn't been to either, and had to pick one, it would definitely be Cedar Point. It just has a lot more rides.

By the way, you might want to review this post in the Sandusky forum - I've posted some tips regarding Cedar Point.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k19294…

Enjoy your trip.

Joe

(cross-posting to the Sandusky forum)

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kings island vs cedar point

I've lived in mason and been to Paramount Kings Island (within the last year), and I lived in Sandusky for 23 years and spent my summers playing and working at Cedar Point. Go with Cedar Point. Better rides for the big kids, a beach, nicer hotels, wider variety of hotels, awesome view of Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie, all around better experience. You'll probably spend more money at Cedar Point (tickets are more $ and the water park is not included in regular park admission, whereas PKI offers both parks for 1 price. but the downsides to that were posted by Coaster Meister, and he's right. on a hot day you don't want to wait in line an hour to ride on water slide, not bump against other nasty people in the pool.) but the extra expense is well worth it. and if you look in the right areas, you can find good deals on CP.

The only way i'd reccomend PKI is if you had smaller children, the park is geared more towards little kids and for them, it's a good time.

One word of advice though, avoid the large Wooden Coasters at either park. The Mean Streak at CP is indeed mean and your body will hate you for it. And I wouldn't call Beast or Son of Beast at PKI a smooth ride either. Smaller wodden coasters at CP are ok though (Blue Streak, Gemini, Mine Ride).

Greenville, Ky
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kings island vs cedar point

I live in Western Kentucky and Ohio has the best parks in the world. IF you have younger kids and are expecting to have the water park, Kings Island is the best choice. However, Cedar Point has roller coasters that are incredibly awsome and better suited for older children with little or no fear. I had never seen any roller coasters like these before....The first time we went to Cedar Point it was a 12 hour drive for us. When we arrived and first saw the coasters, I looked over at hubby and said these people have balls of steel to ride something like that. I was very apprehensive of riding something in the clouds but it was an out of this world experience.

ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: kings island vs cedar point

Outside of Disney, Cedar Point is the absolute best amusement park there is. If you have to choose between Cedar Point and Kings Island, the choice is Cedar Point. Hands down.

west palm beach
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: kings island vs cedar point

my vote goes to cedar point