We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which route is faster

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
which route is faster

Hello all going to Loudonville, Ohio end of May for a cycling race. I will be driving all the way from Thunder Bay, Ontario. Can't decide what would be the faster route. Thinking of perhaps driving to Sault Ste Marie, and driving down through Michigan be faster vs driving from Minnesota.

Suggestions please and thanks

2 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which route is faster

Consider posting on the road trips forum or even the Minnesota forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

It's doubtful if any posters on the Ohio forum are sufficiently familiar with these options in order to answer your question.

Loudonville is in Ohio's Mohican region. Check out Mohican region, Mansfield, and Ohio Amish country in the following travel article. For biking, check out the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. You now can bike from the park all the way into downtown Cleveland, passing through Cleveland's historic Tremont neighborhood.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

tripadvisor.com/…51494052

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

Edited: 9:51 am, January 15, 2014
Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which route is faster

Looking at google maps, it shows your Michigan route being slightly faster. http://goo.gl/maps/vAwUd

That being said, I have driven a majority of these roads through Lower Michigan and Ohio shown on the google maps directions. My suggestion is to go through Michigan if for no other reason, to avoid Chicago traffic.

You may find that Michigan drivers tend to drive fast and not use turn signals when changing lanes on US-23 and I-75. Just keep aware of those around you and you should be fine... they are just in a hurry...lol

Notes for the routes: Traffic will be heavy during rush hours around Saginaw, Flint, and Ann Arbor. If you can time your trip to avoid rush hours, you won't have many issues. Just south of Flint, make sure you take US-23 and not I-75. US-23 around Ann Arbor does have some odd lane merging that will slow down even a little traffic but it usually keeps moving.

If you have time, check out some of the suggestions from TranscendentalEye. You will be racing in a nice area.

Goodluck and have fun!

Reply to: which route is faster
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loudonville
More Loudonville Topics