We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

hi all,

Would love if someone could assist me in my 2 days itinerary for Phillip Island, there seems to be so much to do with so little time! Am planning to go there with my husband & 2 children aged 3 & 5.

I'll be travelling to Phillip Island from Mt Dadenong which would take about 1hr 40mins.

Pls advise me as i would LOVE to vist ALL These places-

Amaze & things

Panny Chocolate Factory

Koala Conversation Centre

Churchill Heritage Farm

Nobbies Centre

Penguin Parade

I'm totally clueless to the timings and all.. would really love if someone could assist and advise! Also, if there are any attractions worth while, do let me know! Thank you so much for your kind time!

Just saw another post where there's pelican feeding at San Remo at 12noon, I would be staying at Silverwater Resort, so i guess it would be prefect to start off with Pelican Feeding? The rest of the attractions I'm totally clueless how much time to allocate and which day to do what. Thank u!

Edited: 3:46 am, March 05, 2014
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

Well, what I'd do is first you've got pelicans at noon and penguins at dusk so you need to check what time is that in the month you're coming and if the website has any instructions about needing to be seated x minutes early or whatever. Then check the other places for opening hours. Check for anything specific you want to see or do, eg does the koala place have feeding times, does the chocolate place have a cafe for lunch, does the farm have milking demonstrations or hay rides, I don't know but that's the sorts of thing I'd be looking for. Have a read of the reviews. Find them on a map. Plan a route. Decide on your priorities, what's definite and what's fit it in if there's time. Post a draft here for comment. Someone might post some sort of logical basic itinerary for you but honestly, have a go at doing it yourself :-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

Alrighty! I'll try my best and thank u for your lengthy reply and time! Will heed your advise and get back to planning something, maybe someday it will help someone else as well!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

Get fish and chips at the San Remo Fish Co-op and eat them while you watch the pelican feeding. Sit out on the grass or picnic tables, or there is an inside area if the weather is horrid.

You will easily need 2 hours minimum at amaze n things if you do the maze, the illusion rooms and puzzle island (there is also mini golf if you have some spare time). Fun for adults and kids, but the kids in particular will really enjoy it and want to spend quite a bit of time there. I would allow 3 hours. It is located on the main road between San Remo and Cowes, and the Koala conservation centre is virtually just across the road.

Panny Chocolate Factory is just over the bridge on the main road between San Remo and Cowes (before you get to amaze n things). Not sure how long the 'tour' takes, but there are also some good activities for kids so would probably need to allow a minimum of 1.5 hours. I haven't heard many good reports about the café there.

The penguins don't come in to shore till it's dark, but you will need to be there earlier to be seated. The time will depend on when you are here (sunset time); if it is during daylight saving months, sunset can be as late 8.30-9pm, and during winter sunset might be as early as 5.30pm. It would obviously make sense to arrive at the penguins early enough to do the Nobbies Centre and have a walk around the Nobbies - so at least 3 hours before sunset.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

Haven't been to Churchill Island for many years, but would think you'd need a minimum of 2 hours - there are a variety of farm activities, such as sheep shearing and cow milking, which would take about an hour (need to check times), and a few walks of varying lengths/times. There is a café. Watch out for the roaming geese - they can chase and attack little kids! The Churchill Island turn off is just past the Chocolate factory.

Koala Conservation park - probably an hour or 2 would be enough time depending on the kids' interest level - the koalas are asleep most of the time and often hard to spot.

The kids might like the Phillip Island Wildlife park too - lots of Australian animals and they can hand feed some of the animals. Allow 2 hours. It's on the main road almost in to Cowes.

If the weather is hot, the main front beach in Cowes is great for kids - safe swimming/paddling and there's a playground at one end of the beach. In the summer months they have peddle boats for hire. There is also a giant water slide and mini golf in the main street of Cowes.

Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

This is really great information! Thank you for your kind time and the long message, will use your message as a guide to planning and would make a good itinerary and post it up here so pole can make use of all the info you have provided! Thank you so much!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

Amaze & things is not really aimed at younger children. It is a loads of fun but it's not really suitable for a 5 year old child as he/she won't understand the science behind all the activities. It's also not cheap at $56 for 3 of you, toddler is free. But if you do like the idea of at least visiting the place and taking some photos, then maybe you can consider a round of the mini golf. Even then, I don't think it's worth it , @ $41)

Panny Chocolate Factory - this will should suit your little 5 year old as lots of interactive displays but do check the reviews as it's expensive because the factory is very small and displays are very basic. If you really want to see it, do make sure you utilise any discount vouchers you can get your hands on.

Koala Conversation Centre - great fun, can see the koalas up close and personal. There is also a boardwalk so you can easily push your younger child in a pram if they get tired.

Churchill Heritage Farm - worth visiting as lots of interactive things to see and do, e.g. sheep sheering, milking cows etc.

Nobbies Centre - not really for the kids but worth a visit for you & your husband. Spectacular scenery and you can see the 'blow hole' (big rush of water splashing up) There is also a telescope (you pay a $1 or so) in which you can see the seals

Penguin Parade - an absolute must do.

Other things: as Morticia has mentioned, do consider a trip to the Wildlife Park. It is small and a bit run down (& bit muddy / not that much concrete) BUT there are lots of Australian animals and you can see them very close and some you can feed too, e.g.kangaroos etc.

Also, fishing on the Cowes pier and a play at the playground already mentioned - it is excellent as it caters for different age groups.

Other things: a drive past the big koala for a photo at the Koala Park resort www.koalaparkresort.com.au/page/display/1,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

Which month are you visiting as it could be very cold and windy down at the beach for the Penguin Parade.

Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

wow wow wow. Thank u all for your kind input! I'm so impressed by all the help i'm getting!

We would be there mid May, yes i've heard the wind would be cold and am gonna go prepared!

Thank you so much PeterWellington1234 for your kind advise on all the places! I've yet gotten to planning the 2 days (procrastinating at max) but i'll definiltey bear in mind all said in this forum and it really is a great help!

Just a short question- for amaze and things, even if they do not understand the science behind the activities, it would still be great fun for them? The pictures i've seen seems really awesome but of cos if its not friendly for a 3 & 5 yo i might as well just skip that.

Once again, thank you for your time!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

re: amaze n things. I think it will still be fun for a 5 year old but best read the all the TA reviews written for Amaze n things so you get a good idea of what the place is like (n.b. read a sample of good,average and bad reviews too)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pls help! 2 day itinerary planning and no clue how to plan!

Re: Silverwater Resort - have this accommodation been booked? It is a spectacular property with great views but it is not on really on/in Phillip Island, it is in San Remo. There are other comparable places to stay right in town in Cowes, which are all walking distance to the restaurants.