We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ultimate Penguin Tour on sunday?

Erlangen
Level Contributor
94 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Ultimate Penguin Tour on sunday?

Hi,

I would like to join a daytour from Melbourne which includes the Ultimate Penguin Experience. Because it is limited to 10 people, I ask myself if it is ok, to do this tour on sunday? I read the Penguin Parade is very crowdy on weekends? I'll be in Melbourne beginning of march next year.

kind regards,

bima

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,554 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ultimate Penguin Tour on sunday?

Well, if you are going to pay the money to go in, shouldn't you experience the entire thing? Once the majority penguins are up in the grassy area, you are nearing the end of the evening. If you have a car and are there ahead of the tour buses, you won't need to worry about a "rush".

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ultimate Penguin Tour on sunday?

You have to actually pay to enter the 'penguin reserve' - the boardwalk and seating are both inside the reserve.

And you won't see the penguins unless you go into the reserve. Back in the day before the reserve was established you could just wander around and watch the penguins coming in, or wander around the nesting sites - unfortunately with the influx of people (including many who were over excited, stupid or cruel), the poor little penguins began to suffer. Consequently the whole area has been closed off to humans, with only the reserve area now available for penguin viewing. It's also a good money spinner of course:) A lot of the takings is put back into conservation though.

Should mention - please don't take flash photos - it's not allowed, and it frightens the penguins so they stop coming up the beach, which leaves babies stranded in the burrows :(

Edited: 11:11 pm, September 26, 2012
Victoria
Level Contributor
139 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ultimate Penguin Tour on sunday?

Hi everyone -- just want to report that we really enjoyed the Penguins! The information provided here was so helpful, and prepared us for the event. Seeing the penguins up-close from the boardwalk after they had emerged from the ocean was truly amazing. So,many thanks to everyone for the information and advice (yes, we had hot chocolate, warm clothing, and blankets while seated on the cold benches!) Also, no photos were allowed, even without flash (which was a bit hard to understand). We saw some people sneaking photos, though. Phillip Island is also very scenic, and we enjoyed our visit very much, although I can see that the traffic would be horrendous during summer weekends.

14. Re: Ultimate Penguin Tour on sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 12, 2013