We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gordon River cruise mid August

Which Strahan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Gordon River cruise mid August

We will be in Cradle Mountain for 2 nights on 22 and 23 August and then I have 2 nights spare before heading back to Hobart for a week. I was wondering if we should pre book the Gordon River cruise and accommodation in Strahan for those 2 nights or wait and see what the weather is like in case it is too cold or bad weather. If we don't do the cruise, should we still stay in Strahan or look at going somewhere else instead? Other places we are staying prior to Cradle Mountain are Bicheno, George Town, Stanley and then Hobart for a week at the end of our holiday to explore the south.

4 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gordon River cruise mid August

Even if the weather is not so good, the cruise is still amazing. I'd recommend just doing it regardless.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,335 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gordon River cruise mid August

If you have two nights, go via Strahan. As Haydn says, the boat trip is still worthwhile regardless of the weather. It's cosy inside the boat.

It would be best to book a day or two ahead.

Luigi

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gordon River cruise mid August

You basically need two nights in Strahan to do the cruise. It leaves early enough and concludes late enough to prevent coming/going from/to anywhere of any substance. The cruise itself is pretty good with Sarah Island being the winner. As far as the cleanest air in the world goes..... hard to say with all that perfume in the air

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,009 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gordon River cruise mid August

Hi Darceeboy, I have stood on Sarah Island in Macquarie Harbour with the sleet coming in sideways, and yet the river was like glass, loved it.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 2:20 am, July 12, 2013
Reply to: Gordon River cruise mid August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted