We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

Which Strahan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

As we don't have time to spend a full day on the railway when we visit in March 2013, I'd like to take some scenic photos of the railway along the route. Is this possible ? Is there road access (I won't have a 4WD, just a rental sedan). Or are photos only at the station in Strahan and/or Queenstown possible ?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

About the closest you'll get to the railway besides Strahan and Queenstown is a Forestry track approximately 22 kilometres from Strahan. At this point is the start of a Forestry track, marked usually by a big yellow gate if you follow (walking) this track for about 400 metres you'll end up at Rinadeena Station. You can follow the roads from Strahan and Queenstown for awhile, but the scenery is not the best, especially from Queenstown.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 2:31 pm, November 14, 2012
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,118 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

As Rob says, you can't get access along the forestry trails except by walking (a long way). But the train stops for lunch at Dubbill Barrill and you can take some good photos there.

The train from Queenstown also used to stop for a gold-panning demonstration along the way, but I can't find any reference to that in the blurb any more.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

The gold panning and station Luigi mentioned, you should be able to get access from Lynchford Road/Conlan Street out of Queenstown, there's a bridge that gives you access to the station with the gold panning display behind the station.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

Thanks for this useful info, guys. Re. the gold panning, would this be at Lynchford Station (the first station along the line from Queenstown) ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

Another question: if it is Lynchford station, what journey time on the train from/to Queenstown ? Trying to get some idea of what time the train gets there (I know the train alternates direction each day). Thanks in advance. Paul

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,118 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

Firstly, the train doesn't alternate direction each day. There are two trains; one sets out from Queenstown, the other from Strahan at the same time each day and they meet at Dubbill Barril.

Yes, the gold-panning is(was?) at Lynchford. queenstowntasmania.com/Lynchford_Station_Pag…

It's about 30 minutes of easy travel (on the straight and level) out of Queenstown.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

The gold panning was there in April "is(was?)", it hasn't gone Luigi, has it, it was such a highlight ;o)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,118 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

It's just that I can't find it mentioned on their website any more. It used to be in there, I'm sure. It now mentions a honey-tasting at Lower Landing instead. That certainly didn't happen last time I did the trip. westcoastwildernessrailway.com.au/journey.asp

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,118 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

Pure Tasmania pop in to give themselves an illicit plug every now and again. So if I mention Pure Tasmania again their search engine might find it and they can let us know whether the gold-panning is still happening. :)

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: West Coast Railway - Best Places for Photos

No honey tasting on our trip in April this year, but the chicken and camembert pies on the train were to die for. Although, I was beinga bit flippant about the gold panning, but the majority of folks loved it? A with the honey tasting a lot of people don't like Leatherwood Honey, many say it's their least favourite. I would have preferred the honey tasting, love leatherwood.

by the way congrats and great work on your 11

Edited: 8:48 pm, November 14, 2012