We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

Which Strahan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

We're planning a trip to Tassie (obviously) Sometime over the warmer months, but haven't made a final decision on the season. Feb is looking good weather wise, but Autumn or Spring foliage are also very tempting, I'd like to see the rose gardens in full glory if possible.

anyway, can anyone advise on the condition of the road from Strahan - Arthur River via Corinna. It appears to be unsealed, but do you really need a 4WD? How is it in the wet? Does it get closed?

Any comments on best time of year to visit would also be welcome.

Thanks

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

Shameless bumping.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

Friends did this trip between Christmas and NY. They hired a 4x4 but said it wasnt necessary the road was good and the humps are actually sealed.

West coast of Tas can be extremely wet in winter.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

Thanks Nozzie. I think west coast will definitely be a warm season trip :o)

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

For anyone driving up the west coast in the next few weeks, be aware that the crumbling old bridge at Arthur River is going to be closed from March 3rd - April 6th for repairs.

In the meantime there'll be a limited barge ferry service operating during the morning and afternoon. Expect delays.

Toowoomba...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

I lived in Zeehan for over two years and I think the best time of year is march/april. Thats when we had the best (read driest) time. If you go around Christmas, the sun doesn't set till like 10PM - really strange LOL LOL. A few places to see along the way are trial harbour and granville harbour.these are both just north of Zeehan. During tyhe winter the hydro seeds the clouds. Our first year there, we had 84 days of continuous RAIN, without it letting up. We moved there from Newcastle, so found this VERY hard to take

Toowoomba...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

another lovely place to see, as you get closer to the north is Waratah. It's a lovely little town!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

Hi snodge,

Yep, would definitely be doing the west coast over summer months! Middle of February would be perfect!

I drove this road in my little 1984 Toyota Corona during Feb last year and it went fine. Winter or even Spring could be a different story (but i haven't been there that time of year) snow could be a problem then.

Note the closing times of the road from 'rentaquote' though!

Good luck with your travels . . .

Cheers

Lyn

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

Thanks very much for the advice all. Much appreciated.

Zeehan Tas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

Road is unsealed, white gravel road often with water washes but suitable for ordinary car. There is is $20 fee to get across the Fat Man Barge at Corinna. If you like being OUT THERE on a road that meaders up and down forever..this is the place for you...go for it. In my view better to take the sealed road around.....much more to see and appreciate but don't miss Strahan, Queenstown , Zeehan and if you have a 4wd head for Granville and beyond.....breathtaking!

Local and Love it!

Zeehan Tas

10. Re: Strahan to Arthur River via Corinna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 15, 2009