We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strahan House

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Strahan House

We visited Strahan just after christmas and because we booked late we were left searching for accomodation. We came across Strahan House on the internet and it turned out to be one of the best accomodations we have ever stayed in and we have been all over the world. The views were magic and the fittings of the property were exceptional. I think it is important to endorse people who offer exceptional accomodation and to support them. Try it.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strahan House

Sounds like you struck it lucky! Was it a moderate tarrif for that time of year. Perhaps put it in the accommodation reviews.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strahan House

Yes, what rate did you pay. The website says $ 250,--

Thx.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strahan House

Sorry I have not replied earlier, yes I paid as per internet site There were four of us and we stayed for 2 nights which was quite economical. I suppose right after Christmas would be considered a peak period? $250 per night + $45 for extras. The lady was a pleasure to deal with.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strahan House

Thank you Minny. The place looks great.

New Jersey, USA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Strahan House

BE CAREFUL! My wife and I had quite a different experience at Strahan House! Anne was very inconsistent in replying to emails (sometimes a delay of a week or more) and I should have taken that as a sign to keep my distance, but we booked two nights in January '09. We arrived around 7 pm, but the house was locked and no key was available. We frantically searched the outside of the house, the tool shed and the like, but could find no key. Tried multiple times (9?) on her mobile phone -- just kept having to leave messages but no callback, no alternate number given, nothing. I even enquired at the local pub, where they informed me they had no key, but that this was not the first time such a thing had happened. (To be fair, I can not independently confirm that statement.) I was FURIOUS!

After an hour of panicked searching, I finally found where they had hidden the key. And then, I finally started to get repeated phone calls on my mobile - after three in the morning! Did she expect me to sleep peacefully in my car until she bothered to get back to me? And I went back through my emails: at no time did she EVER indicate where the key would be hidden. As a result, I took the liberty of taking a 50% ($125) reduction off the first night of the stay. As far as I'm concerned, she had already thoroughly shattered any implied contract by not having the place ready for us on the day of our arrival. And now she is threatening to send the matter to a collection agency. (riiiiight!)

Lest you think me a whining, difficult to please customer, our trip to Oz lasted a full month and every other accommodation was perfectly managed.

Strahan House is a lovely place, priced a bit high, but a good location. Just don't expect to be treated in a professional manner - at all - by the proprietor.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strahan House

Sorry about this first negative post on the forum. Maybe put a reply on TA hotelreviewsection because this thread will disappear in a few days/weeks.

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strahan House

We stayed at Strahan House in October 2008, should have posted something earlier..!!!

We loved it, found the response to emails occasionally a little slow I have to admit, but this would not deter me from staying there again. Other than that the correspondence was informative and helpful.

The house is in a delightful position, superb views across the bay to the township, easily within in walking distance too. A wonderful ambience with wrap around windows, timber floors, high ceilings . . . somewhere you can easily call "home".

Would stay there again in an instant..!!!

New Jersey, USA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Strahan House

PaintedSkies,

Glad you had a good stay at Strahan House. I don't at all dispute how nice the place is, I just was warning folks to take more-than-the-usual precautions when dealing with the proprietor. For example, at minimum, I would suggest doing the following:

1) Get a telephone number where she can be reached before and during your stay, should any problems arise. She only infrequently answers the published number in my experience.

2) Ascertain the location of the key and whether or not the gate will be locked.

3) Make certain that she has the correct day of arrival and the correct duration of your stay. (When we got there, there was still laundry in the drier, so I'm not certain whether she was expecting us that day or not.)

4) Get all of this information in writing before your departure.

5) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU PAY IN ADVANCE. If there are issues, find yourself alternate accommodations immediately. If something goes wrong, she will blame you for it rather than accepting responsibility.

Again, I completely agree: Strahan House is a lovely property. And as you've shown, not everyone has unfortunate things happen. Please, everyone, just be careful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strahan House

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties re Strahan House. I had no such difficulty at all. When I arrive at a property at 7 pm in the evening I always ring ahead the day before and confirm I am still coming and I will be late and check on the arrangements. I would have thought in all the emails that exchanged that you would have asked re access to the property. I suppose in a month of travelling one or two things are meant to go wrong.

10. Re: Strahan House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 04, 2009