We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Arthur online booking

Which Port Arthur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Port Arthur online booking

Hi,

Few questions about Port Arthur. Planning to visit there on Sunday, 16 of February.

1. Do we need to buy tickets online? If not, is there any advantage of buying online?

2. Online ticket reserving system is asking about times for "Introductory tour" and "Harbour Cruise". We will be leaving Hobart in the morning, but I've no clue when we will arrive there? If I decide to buy tickets online and will be late for tour or cruise, can we go on next one available?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Arthur online booking

One more question, can it be crowded in Port Arthur on Sunday? We are planning Port Arthur on Sunday and Huon valley day trip on Monday, maybe it's better to switch those activities around?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Arthur online booking

The advantage of buying tickets on line is that you don't have to queue up to buy them when you get there.

Although I think it's unlikely to be crowded in February, Port Arthur management are also quite adept at smoothing out the blips in the crowd.

I don't think it matters what day of the week you go. Tourists don't know what day of the week it is. :)

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Arthur online booking

Thanks Luigi!

Do you know anything about tour/cruise times they're asking to select on booking page? What if we won't make it on time, does that mean we won't be able to do it at all?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Arthur online booking

In the past, one just turned up at the boat wharf and caught the next boat. And tours ran sufficiently regularly that it didn't matter when one turned up. So I don't know why they want booking times.

Perhaps you could contact them by email and ask your question there. It seems odd to me.

reservations@portarthur.org.au

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Arthur online booking

Thank you, good idea regarding contacting them, just sent email.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Arthur online booking

We are at port Arthur today and tomorrow. We arrived after the Tasman Island cruise in the morning (fantastic) about 2pm. Bought a Bronze pass(valid for 2 days like the Siver and Gold) and were given a boat cruise booking for 3pm, and the 40 minute introductory walk/talk for 4:30pm. As we left the entrance building they were starting the 2:30pm introductory tour - we just joined in. No one asked for tickets. We skipped the 3pm cruise. As we left at about 6pm we went back to the ticket office and got new tickets for the 11am cruise tomorrow. If you are there for only one day, it's probably worthwhile booking ahead, but otherwise it seems pretty flexible. It was much quieter than we expected, especially after 4pm. The tour guide mentioned they had 2 (or 3?) cruise ships in this week with 3,000 visitors onsite. Not sure how true the 3,000 number is, but something to keep in mind if you see cruise ships in Hobart!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Arthur online booking

An update on my previous post - went on the boat trip this morning. They check each ticket as you go on board, plus count the number of passengers as they board. Probably best to book ahead for the boat trip and select a time in the afternoon.

Reply to: Port Arthur online booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted