We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park hours?

Charlottesville...
3 posts
Save Topic
Park hours?

Hi all. I'm planning a trip to Cradle Mountain in mid-May and was hoping to catch a sunrise from Dove Lake. From the other posts, I know that there's a boom gate on the north entrance that regulates the traffic on the road, but is the park otherwise closed at certain times? The only information on hours that I can find are for the visitor/information centers. If I show up at the entrance at 6am, will I be able to get in? Are there any other considerations that I should take into account?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park hours?

The park is always open and people use the park overnight and for night walks. The boom gate will be open if there is parking available at Dove Lake - which there will be before dawn.

You cannot see the sunrise from Dove Lake itself. it's in a depression surrounded by mountains. Some time after dawn, you can see the first rays of light hit the top of Cradle Mountain itself, but it is well daylight by then. (Assuming it's not shrouded in cloud anyway.)

You will need to have bought your Parks pass beforehand.

Luigi

Edited: 7:22 pm, April 27, 2014
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park hours?

Hi Shane, just adding to Luigi's comments, if you can get yourself a really good torch, and then drive slowly to Ronny Creek Car Park which is just before Dove Lake car park and walk the western boardwalk, lots of wild life, or you could talk to the hotel staff where you're staying as they cold advise you on guided tours in the same area, well worth the effort.

Safe travels - Robert

Charlottesville...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Park hours?

Thank you so much for the information, Rob and Luigi! I had intended to show up very early to try to see the mountain framed by a sunrise-lit sky rather than actually seeing the sun cresting the horizon. The pictures that I've seen online have been spectacular.

In any case, I have another logistical issue: we're flying into Hobart at around noon and then immediately driving up to Cradle Mt. It'll be evening by the time we get to our lodgings near there and the visitors' centre where we would normally purchase a pass will be closed. The problem is that it'll still be closed when we would like to enter the park the next morning. Everything is additionally complicated by the fact that this trip will occur during a weekend. Under these circumstances, is there a place in Hobart or on the road from Hobart to Cradle Mountain where we'd be able to obtain a pass?

I had thought that I could just purchase an multi-day pass online, since we intend to take in much more of Tasmania's natural wonders. However, that still apparently requires that we stop by a park to pick up the actual pass. If there isn't a better solution, could I buy a pass online, get into the park without a pass before sunrise, and then pick up the pass once the visitor's center opens? I understand that the park staff may not be too happy with this order of events, but would the gate (or any other mechanism) actually prevent us from entering?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park hours?

Hi Shane, any Information Centres, the other place is Service Tas, but they're only open week days.

The link below will show you their locations and trading hours.

http://www.startwithi.com.au/centres.html

Here's another link you might like -

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=28485

Don't forget to drive with great care if you are travelling at night, it's not recommended, especially from Deloraine to Cradle Mountain, you will really need to slow your travelling speed dramatically, so much wildlife on or near the roads.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 11:57 pm, May 08, 2014
Charlottesville...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Park hours?

Fantastic! Thank you, Robert.

6. Re: Park hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 11, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...