We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price for Hiking?

Sendai, Japan
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Price for Hiking?

This information seems quite elusive to me...help please! :)

My husband and I have five days in Tas...we are trying to decide between spending it in the Cradle Mountain area or travel up and down the east coast. First question, if it were your only time to visit Tas, which would you do? We both love hiking, and we both love beaches. We are probably leaning a little more toward Cradle Mountain area...

Next question...

Does it cost to explore that part of Tas? I read that perhaps there is a park entrance fee, and I read that there is an Overland Track price which is mega expensive. We aren't walking along the whole Overland Track. We just want to see the lakes, climb the mountain, find waterfalls...the best stuff in that area. What kind of cost are we facing to only do those sorts of things? Secondly, where do you suggest staying? It looks like Strahan and Queenstown are both near the park area. And Strahan is on the coast? Is it a nice place? I'm a little lost on the Tasmania decision making.

Thanks so much for ANY help!!! Really!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,280 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price for Hiking?

If you have only five days, you don't have time to do the Overland Track anyway. It takes about six days.

The major costs of visiting Tasmania are transport, accommodation and food.

Regarding transport, the cheapest way to get here is to fly and the ONLY practical way to get around the place is to rent a car. Public transport is not practical and a tour would not give you the flexibility you want. The costs of getting here and of renting a car are relatively easy to find on the internet. Unless you get a sale ticket, a round trip to Tasmania is about $500 from Sydney. A car may cost $80 to $100 per day depending on its size and whether you pay for full insurance. Petrol (gas) is around $1.60 per litre.

Accommodation can be cheap - starting at about $30 per person in a hostel - through an average of $150 per night in an ordinary hotel and peaking at twice that or more in a very good hotel. Places like Cradle Mountain are expensive for accommodation because they are remote. The cheapest place there is Discovery Holiday park.

Food is cheapest from a supermarket: two people could survive well on $30 per day. Maccas will cost you about $10 per person. In a restaurant, you may pay upward of $60 for two in an ordinary restaurant. $400 for two in a grand restaurant (with wine) is not unheard of.

So the cost of hiking is probably quite trivial in comparison if you already have suitable clothing and equipment. A multi-park Holiday Pass will cost you $60 for a car full of people for six weeks. Apart from the Pass, you do not have to pay any other fee to hike in a National Park. www.parks.tas.gov.au/indeX.aspX?base=914

Luigi

(Your mileage may vary)

Edited: 4:15 pm, March 06, 2014
Oz
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price for Hiking?

Hi,

The experiences are truely priceless!!!

Cheers,

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price for Hiking?

Hi,

If you like hiking, just go to Cradle Mt for a few days and the rest around Launceston. A few days around Cradle Mt you will see plenty of alpine lakes, and there's enough tracks for all levels of fitness to keep you busy, and in Launceston you can do day tours from there.

If you split your 5 days up between the two areas, you'll see a wide range of sites to visit.

As Luigi states, rent a car, stay in cabins or other types of accommodation, and get the $60 National Parks - Holiday Vehicle Parks Pass, and if you would like to do more hikes have a look at the link below -

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=1315

>> My husband and I have five days in Tas << when are you coming?

If you go to Cradle Mt, stay at the Cradle Mt village, cost vary a little depending on what time of the year you stay. The time of the year will also determine where, and when you can hike, and for how long. The Cradle Mt summit, I haven't done it, and if I wanted to, I wouldn't consider doing it between May & September, days are shorter, and it can get very icy.

Safe travels - Robert

Slovenia
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price for Hiking?

Just last month I got a return plane ticket for well under 200 aud, so it can be done if you plan a bit ahead. I rented an Outlander for 5 days for 260 aud. On other points I agree with Luigi 100%.

5. Re: Price for Hiking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, March 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...