We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

Hello, sorry for another "how do I get there" question but I did try to check first and couldn't find the answer.

Due to airline changes, we arrive in Hobart at 3.00pm this Wednesday, and have to get to Cradle Mountain the same day. That leaves us with less than 5 hours of daylight driving on a wet day :(

I know one of the usual recommended routes to Cradle is via Sheffield (http://goo.gl/maps/wU2Mf) but I was wondering if going via Latrobe (http://goo.gl/maps/Ecpi9) would be an easier drive? Google maps says it's about 20 mins longer but would it possibly be less winding or steep and thus less challenging for drivers unfamiliar with the road? I find I go much slower than recommended if the road is very winding.

We stay for a few days then have two days to get back from Cradle to Hobart (staying over at Campbell Town), so I'm not looking to stop on the way up except for fuel, groceries and loo break. Would just like to get to our cabins before dark!

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,492 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

You have no real prospects of getting there in daylight. is there some reason you are not flying into and out of Launceston?

Anyway, the shortest route is as you say via Sheffield.

I'm not sure what you mean by "via Latrobe". The easiest route is via Burnie and the highway to Burnie goes past - but not through - Latrobe. Head north along the A1 highway all the way to the centre of Burnie then turn left through Ridgely on the B18. Continue south until you get to the signposted turn left to Cradle Mountain. This route is about 15 minutes longer than via Sheffield, but is on very good roads and avoids the winding sections between Sheffield and Cradle.

Luigi

2. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:22 pm, November 17, 2013
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,196 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

Hi kcsp,

IMO, you might as well go through Sheffield, as per the route you have attached, IME it's quicker than the other route, and I drive both of these a couple of times a month.

You can fill up at either Campbell Town or Perth.

Your last half hour or so of your trip will be in the dark, so I would recommend you carry on but drive at a slower rate, and I never recommend driving at night, but if you drive it slow enough you should be OK. .

And I hate to say this rain is forecast for this Wednesday, so drive safe and stay alert.

Safe travels - Robert

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

Thank you Luigi and Rob. I know it will be late, and I know it will be raining, hence the concern :( With my original flights I would have had an extra 2 hours to drive, but Jetstar changed it and didn't give us any other options for flights.

Luigi, by "via Latrobe", I meant taking the Bass Hwy till Latrobe, then the B19, connecting to Tarleton Rd, B14 for a short distance, then B34, then turning left to C132. But based on what Rob has advised, we will stick to going via Sheffield.

I'm curious about going via Burnie. Is it really only 20 mins more than via Sheffield? Google maps (sorry, only source I have!) says it is a full 1 hour more?

Thanks again!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,492 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

There is no merit at all in going through Latrobe as you describe. it'll be longer than straight through Sheffield and you'll still end up on the winding roads to Cradle for the last hour.

And yes, the route via Burnie is only 15 minutes longer. It is a greater distance but it's an excellent road and you can travel at the speed limit all the way except for about 8km through Burnie and suburban Ridgely. It is by far the best route for campervans and caravans. However, as Rob says, you must slow down once is gets dark anyway.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

Thanks very much again, Luigi! Sounds like Burnie is the way to go, then. We will be slow and careful, thanks :)

Oz
Level Contributor
12,293 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

Hi,

Travelling on that road at that time of the evening you are very likely to have a close encounter of the Wombat kind !

Unless you have really good rental car insurance and the full excess reduction and a means of dealing with an injured Wombat at the roadside I would strongly suggest you find somewhere to stay before dusk and continue to Cradle Mountain the following day.

Cheers,

Edited: 1:23 am, November 18, 2013
Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

I'd agree very much with OZRCFLYER.. The amount of road kill on Tassie roads is a tragedy. I know a woman who cares for orphaned wombat babies. Bringing them up takes a huge amount of time and if it can be avoided at all is much better IMO. Sorry, dont mean to put a damper on your trip.

Sheffield or Deloraine would be my picks for places to stay and you could rise early and be at Cradle early anyway.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

Thanks. We have already booked and paid for accommodation and can't change it, so we're kinda stuck with making it all the way to Cradle the same day. We'll just have to go slowly and carefully.

10. Re: Cradle Mountain from Hobart - via Sheffield or Latrobe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...