We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July or August?

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
July or August?

Hi ya'll

We are coming back to Tas again for a short break a bit later in the year to see if I can deal with the winter temperatures before contemplating a move. We are thinking July or August, and will be spending two nights at Cradle, one night in Launy and two nights in Hobart. Anything that should be the deciding factor between July and August? I want to get a good idea of just how cold it can get so I guess when is it colder? We will hiring a car.

Thank you :)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July or August?

It will be <slightly> colder in August than July. The climate data is here for Cradle and everywhere else follows the same pattern: bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_096005.shtml

So more chance of snow at Cradle in August too. :)

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July or August?

Hi Nay, agree with Luigi, August is a very good time to experience the cold. TBH there's not a great difference in temps, but more likely to get snow, yet where I live it's more likely to snow at home in September and very early October, my elevation is just under 300 metres in the north. Check out links at lower elevations as well,

bom.gov.au/climate/…ca_tas_names.shtml

The first thing we did when we moved down from Brisbane, was to buy very good cold and wet weather gear, either gor tex or something of equal quality. When my family visit, they bring their $15 K Mart jackets, and cheapo beanies and gloves, thankfully we now have spare jackets, beanies and gloves.

I was actually at Cradle Mountain Saturday just gone, some photos if you'd like to look at, link below.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0794-eb86-29d7…

Cheers

Robert

Oz
Level Contributor
13,081 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July or August?

Hi,

IME the houses in cold climate areas are generally much better set up to deal with the cold than their more temperate counterparts. Double glazing, insulation, central or underfloor etc heating make it very comfortable to live inside in cold climates.

IMHO Rob T is "spot on" for the need of good quality layered clothing with a Goretex outer being essential to comfort, and in some situations survival, when you are outdoors. A cold snap in Sydney is often much more uncomfortable than in more southern climes as the houses and people aren't generally equipped to cope.

Cheers,

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July or August?

Thanks very much Luigi, Rob and Ozrcflyer! I didn't think there would be too much of a difference but am now leaning towards August.

Rob - you are killing me with that photo - it was 30 degrees in Brisbane on Sarurday!!!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July or August?

Sorry Nay, I promise I'll post some shots of Cradle Mt when it reaches 30c over the next 6 months :o)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July or August?

Love the photos, Rob T.... thanks for sharing!! ;-)

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July or August?

Hahaha now you're just being mean ;) Look its down to about 18 degrees now at 10pm so we are getting there :)

Donnybrook...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: July or August?

Hi....Will I get to play in snow end of June early July any where in Tasmania. Looking forward to building a snowman xxx

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July or August?

Mount Wellington in Hobart often has snow on it in late June, as does Cradle Mountain.

Donnybrook...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: July or August?

Thank you look forward to our trip :)

Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...