We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Cradle Mountain

Which Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra
Level Contributor
55 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Cradle Mountain

Hi all

I'll be travelling in a group of three, including my mum who is in her sixties. She'll join us for some walks so would appreciate any advice on some gentler 2 to 3 hour walks. Otherwise my partner and I are of reasonable fitness but a bit embarrassed to say we are a couple of city slickers without much outdoors experience but really keen to make the most of the beautiful location. We're looking for walks of 3 to 4 hours duration. Finally I really love Tasmanian devils and would love to see some. Are there any day trips where we could see some? All advice appreciated. I've been researching on some tourist websites but the number of options are a bit overwhelming. Also we are travelling in early January. Any advice on clothing or footwear? I thought we could wear sneakers but apparently that won't do and that we need hiking shoes?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Canberra
Level Contributor
55 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 5 days in Cradle Mountain

Hi all

As promised, quick report back.

Had an amazing time and hope to go back soon. Cradle Mountain scenery was spectacular and the photos you see on the tourism websites are not an exaggeration. We stayed at Cradle Manor Accommodation which was fine and run by a nice lady. It was in Wilmot which was a little out of the way (30 mins) but I liked driving around and seeing the area. At CM we did the Dove Lake walk (busy but highly recommended), enchanted walk, boardwalk from Rommey Creek (back to visitors centre). All these walks are pretty easy just make you have plenty of water, hat and sunscreen. We also did the Speelers Track which was much more adventurous and would recommend only for those with reasonable fitness (also quite muddy). Definitely recommend visiting Marapooka cave and also devils@cradle. Found Trowunna wildlife park to be mediocre. Finally can recommend the food at peppers lodge bistro. Good recommendation from others on this forum - thanks! Had so much fun :)

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,855 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 5 days in Cradle Mountain

Thanks for the report haroldluntz, so glad you enjoyed your visit. It's a shame you thought Trowunna was mediocre. I thought for a non-profit wildlife reserve with no external funding other than the admission they do a great job, and the ability to hold/cuddle a wombat and pat a devil was wonderful experience.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,889 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 5 days in Cradle Mountain

Great to get a report. Glad you enjoyed it, Harold. :)

Canberra
Level Contributor
55 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 5 days in Cradle Mountain

I should add an caveat that we missed the tour at Trowunna, and without that there really wasn't too much to do. If people do go there, make sure you get on one of those. I don't want to be dismissive of any organisation with an aim to helping animals (hats off to them all) but I do think the enclosures could be greatly improved with some basic signs and pathways.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,855 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 5 days in Cradle Mountain

Agree haroldluntz, without the tour there's not much else to do once you've seen the few pens. We take our visitors to the 11am tour and stay no more than an hour to an hour an a half, but the tour makes their day.

Trowunna, has been so close to closing on several occasions. Without the entry fee and donations, they would have to close, they're hanging on a wing and a prayer.

16. Re: 5 days in Cradle Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...