We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

Bendigo, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

Hi

We are planning to walk the overland track in January 2012. Hoping to leave our car at Lake St Clair end, then catch a bus to Cradle Mountain , complete walk and pick up our car at the end. Can anyone advise what transport is available from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain, and where I would find time tables, cost, etc. Or is there a better way to do this, given that we will have a car and will need to collect it at the end of our walk?.

Many thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,492 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

Tassielink has a special set of fares that link to both ends of the track: www.tassielink.com.au/walking-track-fares.htm

The alternative to your plan would be to leave the car in Launceston and use the Launceston - Cradle - Lake St Clair - Launceston option from that page. It would save a lot of time and driving on your part. And you could sleep in the bus. You'll probably need a kip. :)

Luigi

Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

I think Luigi's suggestion of using Launceston as home base is the best option - assuming you will be using a hire car and flying into Launceston? Or are you bringing your own car on the boat?

Can we also assume that you already know you will need to book and pay to walk the Overland Track at this time of the year? There's a fair bit of (foot) traffic on the track in summer so you're likely to have plenty of company. Should be amazing - what a fabulous way to work off the excesses of Christmas! Enjoy :)

Hobart
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

I have the same problem and there is no direct service. The best bet I think is to look at a private charter and try and find ppl to share the cost. It amazes me that there is no longer a direct service. I caught a direct bus in 2006 and it was full.....but they have cancelled it :-(

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,196 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

Try this link,

http://www.outdoortasmania.com.au/

Safe travel - Robert

Moscow, Russia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

We (2 people) are looking for someone to share transfer expenses from Launceston airport to Cradle Mountain on 12 january 2012. I arrival at Launceston airport at 4.20 pm.

6. Re: transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, September 18, 2011
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,492 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

G'day, Mr Redspot. I'd like to point out a distinction between your very helpful and welcome clarifying posts about your company in car rental threads and this particular post.

This one is more in the nature of self-promotion or solicitation. TripAdvisor is a bit anti that. :(

The Guidelines for forums are here: tripadvisor.com.au/help/what_are_the_guideli…

If you wish, you're welcome to have a peruse through the Traveller Articles listed in the Travel Guide tab on the left of this and other Australian destination pages, to check that they mention your business appropriately - to the same extent and manner other similar companies are mentioned. For Tasmania, I put your company in the Hobart and Launceston rental car Traveller Articles some time ago, but elsewhere in Auistralia it might warrant a look.

The ever helpful,

Luigi

8. Re: transport from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 07, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...