We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

Hi,

any suggestions on where to stay that is near cradle mountain, to explore the area?I have checked out all possible accomodations, and they are all really expensive and way off my budget > 130 AUD. Can anyone suggest somewhere nearby to stay, or somewhere around 80 AUD near the park?or do I have no choice but to incur steep prices?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,716 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

You could search around Moina and Sheffield, but they are all at least 40 minutes away.

The cheapest accommodation at Cradle is at Discovery Holiday Park.

Luigi

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

Hi!

I found one in Wilmot with the below address. How long to cradle mountain or dove lake do you think?Love grove!

325 Masons Road

Wilmot TAS 7310

Thanks!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,716 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

It's a little way beyond Moina on the road from Sheffield. I'd say it'll be about 50 minutes to the park entrance.

You'll need to go via the Parks info centre to buy a day pass if you don't already have one and to get the shuttle bus in to Dove Lake.

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=914

Luigi

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

My source puts Wilmot even further away. I just wanted to say the Cradle Mountain area was where we saw the most wildlife on the roads and I don't know how long you plan to stay and what you want to do there but I wouldn't want to be tackling such a long drive on country roads at the end of a day of hiking. I guess there are a few variables for you to consider, cost of accommodation, cost and availability of dining options, cost of petrol, whether you want to maximise hiking time or prefer to enjoy relaxing back at base.

Edit: Yes, my source says 50 minutes but I didn't want to say because sometimes locals are a little more accurate for local conditions than "sources".

Edited: 6:53 am, July 08, 2011
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,716 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

I just take a rough guess, MacKnee. ;-)

Moina's 40 minutes; so it must be a bit more than that. :)

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

Hi i live in Wilmot and its about 30 minutes drive to Cradle Mountain from Wilmot

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

I own Love Grove Guest House and it is 1/2 hours drive to Cradle Mountain from us

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

For locals Wilmot is a 30 minute drive, and Sheffield is approximately a 45 minute drive, and is weather dependant.

What time of the year are you travelling, weather can affect your travelling times as can the wildlife. My best ever and most memorable trip took us over 1 hour to Sheffield, we counted roughly a dozen wombats near or on the road, untold other types of wildlife and nearly ran over a devil. We weren't game to go over 60kph. I have also driven through snow in late October.

So depending on what time of the year you arrive will determine the price you pay and the travel time.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
445 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

Really, stay at the Discovery Holiday Park. It's fine and there are a couple of different accommodation options. It is very near the entrance to the park and the shuttle bus.

Lani

10. Re: alternative base to explore cradlemountain to avoid highcost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...