We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

Townsville
2 posts
Save Topic
How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

Hi there,

I am wondering if 4 nights, 3 days is too much time to spend at Cradle mountain or a good amount? We really like day hiking...do you think there would be enough walking to keep us occupied? We are going in mid april.

Thanks very much.

Sharon

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

If you are avid bushwalkers, 3 days could be OK; otherwise it might be better to look at day trips up to the north coast, especially to the north west around Stanley. The road out of Cradle to the west is pretty good; much better than from the east.

If bushwalking is really your thing, there are some good day walks on the National Parks page: www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3305

The Marion's Lookout walk is also worthwhile: bushwalktasmania.com/marions-lookout-bushwal…

Hope this helps,

Luigi

2. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, March 15, 2011
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

"Cradlemountain.net has various advertising packages available for local and international companies to promote their products and services."

Looks a lot like you're selling your website to me. :)

Luigi

Edited: 7:26 pm, March 14, 2011
4. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, March 15, 2011
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

The Guidelines for posting in the forums are here: tripadvisor.com.au/help/what_are_the_guideli…

It includes this succinct paragraph: "We would never walk into your home and start posting ads for our web site, so don’t do that to our community. Please refrain from posting commercial links and commercial or personal contact information in the forums unless it is directly requested. Do not proactively volunteer it. "

What would these forums look like if everyone used it as a free billboard for their own website?

Luigi

Edited: 9:59 pm, March 14, 2011
Geelong
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

Thank Luigi,

End of discussion from me. This thread is now so far off topic and wasting readers time and TA space it's not worth continuing the discussion. You are welcome to have the content removed, just trying to help the reader.

Cheers

Frank

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

OK. I'll see what I can do.

Geelong
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

Hi Sharon,

Take two!

We have spent a lot of time around the Cradle Mountain area. It is a magic place! If you have never explored the area before then, if you want to do a few hikes, three full days is perfect (IMO)

We have flown in from Victoria several times just to stay in the Cradle Mountain area. I can't say stay AT Cradle Mountain because it it a few km inside the National Park and all accommodation is on the edge of the Park.

There are several options for day hikes. How long and how hard is up to you. One, the Enchanted Walk, is around an hour and well worth it, especially for people with children or limited mobility.

Longer options could include the Dove lake circuit (bout 2.5.- 3 hrs) climbing Cradle Mountain and back via the Face Track or walking via the boardwalk from the Parks Information Centre (right on the edge of the NP) up to Dove lake (and beyond) up to 3 hrs.

In April the weather will be turning cold so make sure you take a small backpack with an snacks, water, extra warm layer, a good rain coat and wear solid shoes. There is also a "Day Walk" registration book at Dove Lake you should fill out at the start and end of you walk.

A bonus in April is the Fagus, a beautiful deciduous native tree. The colours are spectacular.

Luigi has given you the link to the Parks information. That is a great spot to start. There are other resources around the web with stories and pics of Cradle Mountain.

Hope you have a great time and the weather is kind.

Frank

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

Thanks, Frank

Townsville
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time to spend at cradle mountain?

Thanks Frank and Luigi for your advice!! It sounds like there are some great walks to do! I am definately excited about our trip! We will be staying at accomodation just outside the park...can you please tell me if we will need to drive into the park or is it close enough to walk? And therefore will we require a national parks pass for our car or is this a per person pass?

Thanks again for your advice.

Sharon:)

Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...