We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle mountain

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Cradle mountain

Hi,

Has anyone flowon with Cradle Mountain helicopters? Are they any good?

Also, does anyone know if there is a Cradle Mountain snow cam?

Cheers!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle mountain

Cradle is not a skiing area so I doubt there is a snow cam (the only ones in Tassie to my knowledge are at Ben Lomond, Mawson Tow and Mount Wellington).

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cradle mountain

I've flown over much of Tassie, including the Central Plateau, but I've not flown with this particular compan. However it has a good reputation, especially from its operations at Strahan.

Cradle Mountain is not a ski field. The only reliable one in Tassie is at Ben Lomond, but not quite yet this year. The top of the mountain at Cradle has snow on it, but it's not skiable - just a bit too steep!!

Luigi

Edited: 6:34 am, June 27, 2010
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle mountain

Thanks guys. I read somewhere there was a webcam which is no longer in existence. Would've been cool to see whether the NP has snow just before our trip! We haven't booked - yet. :) It'll be our third time visiting!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cradle mountain

Snowcams are here: ski.com.au/snowcams/australia/tas/index.html

Just a bit early, eh?

Luigi

Tarrant Launceston...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cradle mountain

Hi, I work in the National Park.

Cradle Mt Helicopters is only open for business during the summer months. There are not many days over winter that you could do scenic flights. It is good but very expensive ($390 for 25 minute flight).

There used to be a webcam, but no longer.

In terms of snow, don't get your hopes up. We have had very little over the past few years. None at this point in time but you never know.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
445 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cradle mountain

Any snow today? There's certainly a good sprinkling on Mt Barrow and Ben Lomond today.

Lani

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cradle mountain

Thanks heaps!!

We were fortunate enough to see snow and it snowing in Cradle Mountains back in 2008. It was a winter wonderland!!

I too am wondering if there is snow there yet! Even just a sprinkle!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cradle mountain

Ben Lomond snowcam is showing almost-skiable snow at the moment. (Link above in post #4)

Luigi

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cradle mountain

How much time would one need to go to Ben Lomond NP? Or would Mt Barrow be more accessible? We wouldn't mind seeing the snow. We are hoping to see some snow at Cradle Mountain and Mt Field NP when we go to those NPs.

Sarawak, Malaysia
Level Contributor
24 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cradle mountain

We were at Cradle Mt around middle of August 2008 and it was snowing and it was so beautiful and it just took our breath away. It was good weather when we hiked up the mountain but was snowing as we were about to descend. It was an experience of a lifetime and I would definitely visit Cradle Mt again. I would love to share pictures we took at the mountain but am not sure how to insert here.

Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...