We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge

Which Moree hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge

I have a little time on my hands this week between Moree and Lightning Ridge. Any ideas of something interesting for a few hours in either town or somewhere in between. Short hikes, scenery anything that won't get me lost as there is a plane to catch.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge

There was a lot of standing water around Lightning Ridge when we were there last spring. With the weather as it's been I reckon probably still is. How much time have you got? Have you visited the ridge before?

We enjoyed an early morning visit to the parrot ponds just opposite the turn in to Lightning Ridge and thought that was a very pretty spot. The tour around LR with Black Opal Tours was terrific and I would certainly recommend that if the times suit and you haven't done it before. .. or just take your togs and visit the artesian bore baths for a while. That's got to be a lightning ridge must do.

If you still have time left over then I would recommend a visit to the shop at the Bluey motel. Great range of interesting books and friendly conversation. One of the highlights of the ridge for us.

Edited: 1:19 am, March 13, 2011
Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge

I knew I could count on Snodge for an answer in this part of the world. Thanks.

There are only have a few hours spare around work commitments and I've never been to the area before. Those suggestions sound like enough for this time although I don't think I can fit a tour in on my schedule.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge

Thanks Noel-Donna, It's nice to be able to offer assistance after all the help you've given me. :o)

You can download maps and brochures for the various self drive tours around the ridge highlighting geology, flora and birds. Parrot ponds is on the bird one. The brochures are linked on the Bluey's website.

http://sites.google.com/site/blueymotel/

I know that Moree also has artesian bore baths, but Moree is still unticked on my list of NSW towns to visit... I'll get through them all one day :o)

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge

Well, this is .... interesting.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge

We drove between Moree and Lightning Ridge but nothing in my roadbook for that. You can buy Donna some nice opal earrings in LR or a bracelet

A. did but payed for herself . I'm a scrooge -lol-

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge

Great idea H. If only you'd told me yesterday I absolutely, positively would have done that. No scrooge here. :)

Too late, back at SYD now and about to board flight home.

Reply to: A few spare hours around Moree/Lightning Ridge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted