We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Yelapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

I am planning an impromptu trip to Yelapa the last week of May. We are looking at flying Alaska airlines from SFO to PVR, but the flight gets in at 4:20pm. Is this enough time to catch a water taxi to Yelapa? If so, I would assume that we should go to Los Muertos as opposed to Boca and probably go via taxi instead of bus.

If 4:20pm is just too late, what time should we try to get in so we can be sure to get the last boat at 6pm to Yelapa?

Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

http://www.yelapa.info/transportationnf1.html

Go to this site, then click on the Yelapa Office link. Get in touch with Sergio Garcia, the owner, who can tell you what you need to know. We had great airport transportation for $30 USD to the Yelapa water taxi office. It was arranged by the owner of the place we rented, Casa Tassia, but I'm sure Sergio coukd arrange ut for you.

Saint Cloud...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

Does Sergio have an email address I could contact him with. All i see on the website is a 7 digit phone number. Would like to avoid an international call.

Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

There is an email address in this page:

http://www.palapainyelapa.com/pages/pat.html

Saint Cloud...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

Great information, but I still do not see an email for Sergio at the Water Taxi office.

Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

Finally, after much searching, my husband found this email address, scribbled down on a piece of paper Sergio had given him! I think his last name is Martinez. His brother-in-law, Sergio Garcia, is also a partner in the business, and has a restaurant (Tacos y Mas) in Yelapa.

sergioyelapa@hotmail.com

Portland, Oregon
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

My girlfriend and I just got back from Yelapa last weekend. We got into PV at a similar time and decided to stay in PV the first night - grabbed a water taxi around 11 the next day. I'm glad we did - the area around Los Muertos pier was a little chaotic. I also wouldn't say that the taxis run on time. It can get a little confusing. But ultimately we did make it to Yelapa and back fine so the key is just knowing what you are getting into.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

Thanks so much for the info everyone!

Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

If you have questions contact Carolyn Songin through www.yelapaconnexion.com she helped us so much when we had our wedding in Yelapa last november. Taxi, water taxi, things to do. She is awesome.

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

No, you must take a water taxi to get to Yelapa, and they don't run in the dark. Essentially they run to Yelapa early in the day, and return in the afternoon. The hours that they run depend on the hours of daylight and the number of people who have purchased tickets to go to Yelapa at one time. There is a schedule, and as mentioned previously, Sergio is your best contact. If you are arriving at 4:20 PM, you should plan to find a hotel for the night. The Weston has been having some good rates and is only 5 minutes from the airport. Give yourself at least an hour in the morning, meaning if you plan to board the water taxi at 10 AM, be in your taxi from the hotel to the water taxi office by between 8:45 and 9:00 AM (as an example). Don't buy a water taxi ticket anywhere other than Sergio's office, as some have an up charge, and some are bogus. Also, by contacting him ahead of time, he can help you with accommodations in Yelapa if you plan to stay there. You will have to buy a round trip. We were there just two weeks ago, and he charged us 250 pesos per person round trip. Pay in pesos because it is much cheaper. And I would advise that for your entire time in the area. Merchants there will only give ten to one for dollars. For example, the trip to Yelapa would be 250 pesos or 25 dollars, but 250 pesos is actually only about 20 or so dollars, considering the rate now is hovering around 13 to one.

One more thing. When you fly in and arrive at the airport, the taxis in the airport charge nearly twice as much as the taxis that you can get by walking out to the street that runs by the airport. The rates once a taxi enters the airport to pick up is governed by federal law, and so you can't bargain either, although taxis are cheap enough that bargaining is not advised. However, always ask what the taxi ride will cost before getting in, and hold the driver to that. However, you should tip at the end.

Finally, resist any temptation to go to a timeshare or other type of presentation unless you have an entire day to devote to it. They are very high pressure, and nearly everyone you meet will try to sell one to you. They will offer the world, and generally follow through with what they say they will give you, but they do take far more time that is promised.

Have fun in Yelapa, it is a wonderful place, the people are extremely friendly, and be sure to hike up river. I love crossing through the river to get from one place to another, and don't worry, it is never very deep. Just don't cross right where the river crosses the sand bar into the ocean. It is deep there.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4:20 pm arrival, 6pm water taxi?

Actually, tipping the taxi drivers is an American custom, not practiced in Mexico other than for exceptional service.

Otherwise, all sounds like good advice.

Get answers to your questions about Yelapa