We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft in Yelapa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
383 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Theft in Yelapa?

I'm getting ready to book multiple nights in Yelapa and just read a warning on a message board about break-in's. It basically said it's a common problem in Yelapa now for thieves hunting for valuables they can sell to buy drugs to enter through the open windows while you're sleeping. I'm looking at rentals with safes and we will use the safe for all valuables, but now I'm wondering if I should really be renting a place that's open on three sides? I'm more worried about our personal safety than losing valuables.

Yelapa
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

and if you don't wear your wedding rings while swimming and if worrying about them will impinge on enjoying your vacation....leave them at home. Best to not bring something so precious and irreplacable.

Quad Cities
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Thank you for your swift reply! I wish we would still be there mid-November, but we depart on October 30. I appreciate the tip on what to say though and will be using it frequently.

If I can get rice tacos every night I will be a happy girl (no beans - they upset my tummy!)...

thanks again!

Yelapa
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Some of my vegetarian/vegan friends find it helpful to explain their food restrictions as "es mi religion" (it's my religion). Mexicans believe eating meat is a luxury and don't understand people who choose to forgo it..... the religion thing helps them put it into some kind of context they can understand. Sorry we'll miss your visit, but hope a future visit is in the works! Happy travels!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

We have enjoyed several years of vacationing in Yelapa, most of the time in palapas that are not completely closed in. We use the lock up space provided in most palapas for things like our passports and are careful not to leave electronics laying about when we are gone or sleeping. We have never lost a thing! We did however spend one night at a newer all-inclusive in Nuevo Vallarta, in a gated community with security guards and a locked suite on the 3rd floor, and still lost all my jewelry from our room. We feel much safer and worry less about things in Yelapa than we do in many of the resorts we visit elsewhere. It is rare for the owner not to meet you on the beach when you arrive, if you inform them of your approximate arrival time, and they will help with your luggage as well.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
383 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Thanks for all your replies. We've traveled to other destinations in Mexico, staying in hotels, condos, and homes and never had anything stolen. We always use safes or lockups in the room for any valuables. That being said, I never travel to Mexico with any valuable jewelry. We go casual and avoid wearing anything showy. We'll be sure to have the caretaker meet us at the dock and help us with bags.

16. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:43 am, April 10, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Yelapa