We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft in Yelapa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Yelapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Theft in Yelapa?

I'm getting ready to book multiple nights in Yelapa and just read a warning on a message board about break-in's. It basically said it's a common problem in Yelapa now for thieves hunting for valuables they can sell to buy drugs to enter through the open windows while you're sleeping. I'm looking at rentals with safes and we will use the safe for all valuables, but now I'm wondering if I should really be renting a place that's open on three sides? I'm more worried about our personal safety than losing valuables.

Kitchener,ontario
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Try posting your question on this message board.

…yuku.com/forums/9/t/Next-Stop-a-YELAPA.html

Yelapa
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

You should always be careful anywhere you travel .... but as someone who lives in Yelapa most of the time I feel these claims are blown out of proportion. Just take normal precautions and you should be fine. Yelapa is not some drug crazed community.

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Hi there...not sure how old that post is?? We had seen a post similar to that prior to our trip in March 2010 and found no issues while there. However...I would take the same precautions as you would ANYWHERE and if your place offers a safe...use it. Have a great trip...Yelapa was wonderful!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

I think you have to be more worried about the mapache's coming in at night

and raiding the fridge!

colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

...and the frogs and hermit crabs visiting...;)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Thanks for all the replies. I suspected the comments I'd read about thefts in Yelapa were probably a bit overblown. But what the heck is a mapache? Is that the raccoon type animal? Ha! Can't wait to get to Yelapa and see it!

Yelapa
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

OK, yes, and yes.....there IS petty thievery in Yelapa........and the warning out there ARE overblown. Yes, take precautions, as you would anywhere in the third world......especially if you are travelling with shiny electronic toys. There is a small handful of "bad boys" in town...unfortunately they are also frequently among the handful of men who meet every boat and offer to help with your luggage/direct you to "your" casa. Then they can suss you out and see where you stash your goodies, then come back to snatch them when you leave your place to go explore. How to deal with this? Some suggestions:

-- if your accommodations offer to meet you....take them up on it and take their advice on who to choose for the schlepping.

-- travel light so you can do your own schlepping and inform yourself in advance on where "your" casa is.

-- make CAFE BAHIA on the pier your first stop (full disclosure: I am the chef/owner) and we can help you figure it out.

-- if all else fails....choose one of the older guys to help you out. (Cipriano (big belly) and Silverio (no teeth) are my faves and both good as gold. .....The younger the "helper"....the more likely he's one of the "gang" (gross generalization but what can ya do?)

VERY IMPORTANT: When you get to your casa........tip him OUTSIDE. (preferably from a separate stash of small money in your side pocket, and without pulling out your wallet) Do not let him in (especially the young'uns)

Above all, do not let them see where you stash your wallet/Ipod/Cel phone. Use a safe or locked closet if there is one.

Its only a small group of rotten apples but their impact is larger than it should be. Follow these guidelines to increase your chances of an event-free trip.

Above all......remember that Yelapa is an extraordinary and beautiful place filled with warm, lovely and 99.9% honest folk. We welcome you!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Thank you Susana! We'll be sure to stop by the restaurant for a bite!

Quad Cities
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Susana - We will be arriving October 23 and can't wait to experience Yelapa! Does Cafe Bahia offer anything for the vegan eater?

We will be prepared to not bring any valuables at all since we are traveling only with a backpack. I'm wondering if I should even wear my wedding rings. I don't like to swim in them and it might be safer to just leave them in my home for the week.

These forums are wonderful places to get advice - thanks to all who respond!

Yelapa
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Theft in Yelapa?

Yes, CAFE BAHIA offers many vegan options. We will be open for the season by mid-November....hope your stay will extend till then. If not, we hope to see you another time and wish you a WONDERFUL time in Yelapa.

P.S. a helpful phrase for ordering vegan in Yelapa restaurants: "No como carne, ni pollo, ni pescado, ni huevos, ni lacteos" . You will probably be eating a lot of beans and rice and wonderful tortillas. Provecho!

Get answers to your questions about Yelapa