We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Yelapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quad Cities
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

Hi all. My husband and I are planning a trip to Yelapa for late October. We want to stay at Casa Pericos. Already I am not sleeping at night because I have so many concerns and questions that I can't get out of my mind!

We really want to do something adventurous and away from the normal atmosphere of resorts, BUT is Yelapa going to be too much too soon!?

here are my questions!

1) Is Casa Pericos (at The Point) a long haul from the restaurants, grocery store, etc? When we eat dinner in 'town' are we going to be able to easily get back to our casa in the dark? Do we have to wade through a river to accomplish this? I know there are lots of rocks in front of Casa Pericos..I'm concerned about traversing these at night.

2) Is it easy enough to navigate the trip from the airport to Yelapa upon arrival? Do we get groceries in PV before we get on the water taxi or once we get to Yelapa?

3) I am a vegetarian. Will I find restaurants/cafes that I can eat at?

4) Am I going to wake up each morning to a parade of snakes and ginormous spiders stomping and slithering across my face and body?! I can handle just about anything but spiders and snakes.

5) Will 7 days and 6 nights be too lengthy? I want to DO things - take tours, etc. in addition to lounging on the beach and relaxing. Any suggestions?

6) Late October - still rainy season or is weather ok? I read on another forum that they fumigate with pesticides in October - is this accurate?

Any other advice from prior Yelapa visitors would be much appreciated.

BTW - we are both in our EARLY 40's and are VERY fit. We want to be adventurous and are willing to try almost anything so if you know of whitewater rafting, waterfall rappelling, whatever - please advise!!

Thank you!!

Auberry, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

Yelapa and Casa Pericos is amazing! We can't wait to go back. The walk into town where you find restuarants, grocerys etc. is easy and will take you 5-10 minutes at the most. There or small rocks in the well traveled path so to avoid tripping you have to watch your step, It's really hard to keep your eyes on the path though as the view along the way is incredible. There are no big rocks to traverse. It's not a problem at all getting back at night as long as you have a flashlight, better yet bring head lamps. That way your hands a free to carry things back. If you do get rain there may be a few puddles and your feet may get a little wet.

The trip from the airport is very easy. After leaving customs walk through the shark tank and don't talk to anyone other than a no gracias. Keep walking and you see the taxi booths just before going outside. Pick one of the booths (doesn't matter which one) and buy a ticket to the pier. At the peir buy a one way ticket to Yelapa.Tell them you want to get off at Playa Isabel. It's the last stop. It's very easy and they all speak good english. Enjoy the ride it's beautiful. Try to get a seat close to the back of the boat, it will be a smoother ride. Carolyn and the house boy to carry our luggage where at Playa Isabel to great us upon arrival. We arrange with Carolyn prior to arrival to stock our place with some groceries, beer etc. Just tell her what you want and she'll have it there for you.

Not a problem being a vegetarian. The food is delicious and very cheap.

We never saw so much as a mosquito while we were there in Feb. We did have a racoon like animal come a couple nights and got into our garbage. We never saw him, just heard him. He scared away very easy. Just make sure you keep all food in the refrigerator.

We stayed for 5 days and it wasn't long enough. Next time it will be for no less then a week. Lots of things to do to keep you busy if you want. We did the big waterfall by mules, but you could easly walk there. You will need a guide to find them though. We used Pepe' and he was a kick and spoke good english. (He walked barefoot the whole way). We also did a day trip to the Marietas Islands. We enjoyed them both. Next time I want to go explore other beaches by water taxi, do a tandem hang glide ride, I don't think there is white water rafting or waterfall rappelling in Yelapa but there may be in PV. You can arrange all you tours once you get to Yelapa. Go to the Hardware store in town and there is young man named Jay who can arrange things for you.

We have been to Mexico many times in October and have had hardly any rain to speak of. This year we went in Feb. when they aren't suppose to have any rain and we had lots of it. The weather has been very strange everywhere this year.

BTW- we were 2 couples in our 50's and 60's, and some not so fit. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM. Have fun, I hope you enjoy Yelapa as much as we did!

Quad Cities
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice! If I think of other questions I will definitely PM you! I have been so nervous because we have only travelled to All Inclusive resorts but really want to try something out of the box (for us).

Thanks again!!

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

wahooo...I too enjoyed your information....very newsy. Thanks

We are headed to Yelapa on Monday 3/22....will post what info we have too.

Although we aren't staying at the same place as you we'll post what we know and some of the things we had questions about also...we have scoured the internet looking for info and are so excited to try out our "adventure" . We too in the past have done the the ai scene and loved it but this time...we wanted something different.....

Quad Cities
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

Awesome! Thank you so much! I can't wait to hear about your experience. Where are you staying? I'm so curious about everything in Yelapa - I can't wait til October but don't want to wish my summer away either!

Enjoy your trip - safe flight and all and I'll be looking for your posts....

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

hi there....just back from Yelapa...we loved it. We did alot of research before we went and it was pretty much everything we expected....laid back, somewhat rustic, BEEauuutiful....great food etc...

we took a walk to "the point" area and saw your place from below...looks very nice! There was a little tienda (grocery) nearby that was clean and well stocked...and you'll be not far from Pollo Bollo ..our fav place to eat in Yelapa....yummmmmmmmmmm

the little day trips come and go and then you get the beach to yourselves again. We loved the food at Tino's Oasis right on the beach and their Margarita were soooo good. Next door at the Coco Bar they have fish taco's for like $1.50 each ohh..my (fish fingers are the battered ones...the other ones were chopped fish...we loved the fish finger ones...) they whack opend the coconuts there too and make fresh pina coladas....sigh...can I go back now.

I would recommend that you bring one pair of very good sandal type walking shoe. I think I wore my keens the entire vacation. There is soooo much walking to do lots of steps, kinda steep grades in certain areas etc...so most important pack good shoes for walking and leave any kind of strappy sandals or anything with any heel...at home.

Very casual....super laid back....meet some of the locals, learn...adapt and enjoy.

We found the little tiendas to have everything we really needed from Deoderant, to wine ...we picked up some groceries for breakfast and ate out for lunch and dinner....all the food so very fresh. The veggies and fruits are toted over each day by the water taxis so nice selection to choose from at the tiendas.

feel free to send me a pm if you have more questions and I'll help if I can. I will do another full post/review as time allows and I'll post some pix when I get time too....good luck....it's a unique , rustic...authentic place. ENJOY

Nipomo, California
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

Go for it girl. You are in the prime of life, adventerous, healthy and ready for "whatever". This is a beautiful house in a most beautiful setting. Pack your comfortable shoes and everyday wear and go with the spirit of adventure. You will love the people who run it and the people in the village. Please do not go with the wrong additude but with anticipation of peace and joy of experiencing a different kind of vacation. Do pack something pretty to wear in the evening while sitting on the "deck" looking out at that beautiful water. I have been two times but alas I have waited too long and at the age of 80, I cannot stay but I had to look for myself. Go and think of the 80 yr old adventurous lady who cannot and if its not for you, you have made that decision for yourself. The water taxis are fun and the guys will be more than willing to help in any way. Have fun and I know you will return. Peggy

Quad Cities
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

Peggy - At night, I will look to the stars, think of you and wish you well! Thanks for your lovely words of encouragement. We are so looking forward to this trip 7 weeks - open mind, open heart. I'll post a trip summary upon our return!

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

do you have your Vacation countdown ticker going yet!!?? wahoo...summer is over and it's getting closer for you!! :)

Quad Cities
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

funny you should mention that! we got an email from Priceline last week that our airline (Mexicana) went bankrupt and we now no longer have plane tickets. We are waiting for our refund so we can repurchase our tickets but unfortunately the prices have almost doubled!! BUT we still cannot wait til the trip and talk about it every single day! I'll be sure to post a review upon our return.

A little disappointment I have had is the lack of response I have gotten from Casa Pericos - I have emailed them twice and nothing! Hope that isn't an omen!

Thanks for asking!!

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casa Pericos in Yelapa in Late October -ADVICE!

Can't wait to hear your review!! I'll be watching for it...hope it all works out for you! We found our trip to be ....an adventure...magical...fun....laid back...quirky at times...authentic...wonderful...all wrapped in one.

I made a photo book with all my photos on shutterfly and just LOVE looking at it! We smile as we sift thru the pages...and especially our little side trip over to Pisota...very cheap to do via local water taxi, spent the day there , great meal, ice cold beers, ...wonderful beaches...great memories! Back in Yelapa around 5 p.m. for under $15.00 a person!

wishing you good luck w/ all the travel issues going on....hang in there!

Get answers to your questions about Yelapa