We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food illness

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Eugene OR
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
food illness

Hi,

I am going to Yelapa in March. I am somewhat concerned about food illness. So, what I know so far is that only bottled water, cooked vegetables, and fruits you can peel are safe. Has anyone had any trouble? I think I will get some meds prior to leaving just in case, don't want to ruin the vacay! Any thoughts, suggestions or otherwise is welcome. We are a very outdoor couple and will be exploring as much as possible. Sounds like a perfect fit for us.

Jessica

Mentioned in this post
Yelapa
Yelapa
Costalegre, Mexico
CAFE BAHIA
$$ - $$$, Mexican, American, Cafe
Ray's Place
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Seafood, International
taqueria los Abuelos
$, Mexican, Latin, Seafood
Yelapa
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food illness

We have been here since 06OCT no issues. We did do the Dukorol thing.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food illness

I just spent a week there, no problems at all! Ate all over the village. I always travel with GSE (find at a health food store with the vitamins) which a small dose will kill any tunny bug you may pick up. Enjoy Yelapa, it is paradise!

Mentioned in this post
Yelapa
Yelapa
Costalegre, Mexico
Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food illness

My husband and I just got back from a week long stay in Yelapa. We had no stomach or intestinal problems at all and we ate at a different place every day. We even bought a few groceries and cooked in our suite. The food is absolutely amazing. Enjoy your trip!!! Be sure to find Jay and Gerardo from Yelapa Adventures if you are interested in going out on a boat trip. Jay is the most amazing young guy and will take good care of you.

Mentioned in this post
Yelapa
Yelapa
Costalegre, Mexico
Yelapa Adventures
Yelapa Adventures
67 Reviews
Yelapa, Mexico
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food illness

My husband and I have traveled in Mexico a lot and one of us usually comes down with some kind of intestinal bug for a short time each trip. This time I brought acidophilus and took it each day and had no problems. I have taken GSE before too, which is also good. For trips longer than 2 weeks I bring a multi-vitamin because we eat lots of veggies at home and less in Mexico. Make sure you buy some iodine at the store if you are going to cook veggies so that you can soak them before you use them. I think it all depends on how sensitive you are.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
5. Re: food illness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 04, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Yelapa