We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yelapa questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Yelapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Yelapa questions

Hi guys,

I am about to book two adjoining ocean view rooms at the Hotel Lagunita for my family of six (our four children range from 7 to 17) for shortly after Christmas, and plan to have 9 full days in Yelapa.

I love the look of the hotel and think Yelapa sounds magical, but would welcome the advice of fellow travelers who've spent any time there (especially at Lagunita), as to whether it's a good bet for that length of time.

We don't need 'entertaining', hate big resorts and enjoy snorkeling, nature, food, lizards, horses, boats, books, beach and diving! My younger children hate being rushed around ‘cultural’ sites, love bugs and animals and prefer to make their own fun with rocks and water!

Even though we crave peace and nature, are we likely to need more to do? Any tips on which rooms are good at Lagunita?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yelapa questions

Sorry I haven't checked this forum in awhile. Please

advise how everything went.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yelapa questions

...we returned from Mexico last night!

We stayed at Lagunita for six nights and had rooms 10 and 11. The rooms were great, being right by the pool and having a lovely view across the bay, though sadly an extremely cold front was in Yelapa when we arrived, so we all shivered in our fleece jackets and jeans all day and at night slept fully clothed. The front took three days to move through and then we cheered up, though the nights were still very chilly!

I enjoyed the breakfasts at Lagunita, though the evening meal choices tend to become repetitive. Also the beds are rather small, even though we are not large people, and they are very, very hard.

I did get fed up with the packs of dogs running loose on the beach in Yelapa, especially when they took a dump in the sand and a rotweiller ripped one of my children's new boogie boards to shreds in minutes and scared him ridged.

We crossed the river regularly at night to enjoy meals in Yelapa, hiked to the waterfalls (both the big one and the small one) and ate pie from the pie ladies.

Chacala was wonderful! Majahua is a magical place to stay and the owner, Jose, is fantastic at making you feel welcome; it was like staying with old friends and nothing was too much trouble! I preferred Chacala to Yelapa as it was less developed. There are great palapas on the beach for lunch, and delicious evening meals and breakfasts at Majahua.

I'd go back to Hotel Lagunita, but for four days maximum and would be happy to stay at Majahua for seven days as there is so much to see in that region. The beach in Chacala is beautiful (and the sand much finer than in Yelapa) and my children were more than happy swimming there all day and everyday.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yelapa questions

Thanks! We never stayed overnght in Yelapa, but hiked the area. We may return for a night or two, but since I've discovered the Caribe side of Mexico, I've been alot more satisfied with the snorkeling and beaches.

We did love the feel of Yelapa, however.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yelapa questions

...I'm with you, I stayed at Cabanas Copal in Tulum three December's ago and loved the being there and exploring the region. I'd like to go back to Tulum and take the children, but PV is so easy from LA, whereas Cancun is a longer flight, usually with a change of plane etc.

I was really spoiled by a trip to French Polynesia about 7 years ago, where the sand was like fine sugar, the water like a bath and so clear that the kids didn't need masks to see the myriad of fish. The sand at Yelapa was really coarse, the water cold and not clear at all. We snorkeled at the beautiful and deserted (a 90 minute hike or you can drive to the beach if you want) Las Cuevas beach in Chacala and saw a few fish (mostly stingrays), but nothing compared to the reef in Tulum. After we'd spent a few hours at Las Cuevas, a pre-arranged boat picked us up and then we went out and watched whales - beautiful - before being delivered back to the pier in Chacala.

5. Re: Yelapa questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, September 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Yelapa