We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport To and From Croydon.

Limerick
Level Contributor
145 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Transport To and From Croydon.

II am visiting Croydon for the fist time in 30 years. I lived there happily 30 years ago for two years and expect to see many changes on this visit. Maybe someone can help me with a few questions. I am traveling to East Croydon station from Gatwick. I see the fare online is 4.50 with Southern Rail or Capital Connect (I don’t know if these are different rail companies) if I wait to buy the ticket at airport will it cost me more to get to East Croydon Station.

My second question is I now see that you can use the Oyster Card from Croydon into London, can you buy the Oyster card at East Croydon Station. I’ll probably pop into Central London for one day of my visit and have used the Oyster card on my last visit to London and found it very economical.

I also see Croydon now has a tram system but probably wont need that so won’t try and get my head around that - oh I have been gone too long. I sometimes see Croydon getting a bad press unless it has gone way down hill in 30 years I never had a bad experience there even traveling and walking around alone on my own late at night. Thank you in advance for any help.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport To and From Croydon.

The £4.50 fare is with FCC trains only. It will be the same price on the day.

It's £4.90 if you use a Southern train - again the same price on the day

And yes you can get an Oyster at East Croydon station - you can use it into and around London, and also for local buses around Croydon - and the trams too

Limerick
Level Contributor
145 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport To and From Croydon.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I take it FCC trains are Capital Connect I read about. It will be just as handy to buy on the day so from them. I will be able to check their timetable on line. Thank you again.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,301 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport To and From Croydon.

You hardly need a timetable for Gatwick as FCC runs every 15 minutes and Southern about every 10 minutes.

I bought my Oyster card at the Croydon tourist office outside East Croydon station and I am sure there are numerous other outlets in town.

Croydon's trams are excellent and the rides (using your Osyter card of course) out to Wimbledon, Elmers End, Beckenham Junction and New Addington are nice and easy way to see thewhole area with minimal effort.

Limerick
Level Contributor
145 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport To and From Croydon.

Thanks for that information Cubsur I used to have to get a bus to New Addington to visit a friend when I lived there so how times have changed. I will have to take at least one trip on tram to experience it. I am staying very near East Croydon station so wont need transport to and from Station.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport To and From Croydon.

When using the tram, you must touch your Oyster Card on the reader on the platform before joining the tram, as they don't have readers on board, unlike the buses. It will all be clear when you get here.

On trains, you touch in when entering the station and touch out when leaving - even if the barriers are open, you must do this. This is so that you are charged the correct fare for the journey.

Trams and buses have a flat fare so no need to 'touch out' at the end of the journey (unless you are going to Wimbledon).

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport To and From Croydon.

If you only plan 1 day visiting London then probably a travelcard will be easier.

You have to pay for the oyster card itself, this can be reclaimed later this seems like hassle.

The travel card will be valid for buses,tube,trams and rail.

Limerick
Level Contributor
145 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport To and From Croydon.

Thank you for that I have just returned from my trip last night and when I went to buy the oyster card the office was closed in Croydon so went to buy a ticket on machine and saw the day travel card for £8+ and used that all day it was great value as had my train trip into Victoria and jumped on and off tubes all day. Thank you all for all the help. I must say I was most surprised at how Croydon had grown since I was last there but then I forget it was 30 years since I last lived there. There are so many high rise buildings there now and also like all of Uk the diverse groups of people living there. But I must say I did my enjoy my 'trip down memory lane'.

8. Re: Transport To and From Croydon.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, February 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Croydon