We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commuting from Buxton to Burton upon Trent

Which Burton upon Trent hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
1 post
Save Topic
Commuting from Buxton to Burton upon Trent

Hi,

I'm starting a new job in Burton but will be driving from Buxton - I know it's about 40 miles and should take just over an hour according to mapquest, tomtom - but any idea what the rush hour is like from this direction?

Cheers,

Tracy

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commuting from Buxton to Burton upon Trent

The obvious route is to follow the A515 via Ashbourne to the A38, then follow this to the A511 where you turn right to Tutbury and Burton. However, depending on where you need to get to in Burton, it might be worth staying on the A515 until after after Draycott in the Clay, then turn left onto the B5017 to take the back way into Burton.

I can't answer for Tutbury and Burton at rush hour, but you shouldn't have much problem with the rest of it (although the A38 will probably be quite busy). It takes about 45 mins to get to the A38 so allow 75 mins for the whole trip.

Note that in the morning, the official route around the Ashbourne one-way system can be bypassed by using North Avenue, Belleview Road & Mayfield Road.

Having said all that, the A515 can be frustratingly slow if you get stuck behind something, as there is a 50mph limit along most of it and are very few places to overtake, and having driven along it several times before, I would not want to have to do it every day !

2. Re: Commuting from Buxton to Burton upon Trent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Burton upon Trent