We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish and chips any good?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Fish and chips any good?

Fancy getting fish and chips this weekend, but have heard the Hailey Road chippy is under new management. Is it still OK?

13 replies to this topic
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish and chips any good?

Bump.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish and chips any good?

Just ate our fish and chips from there tonight and the quality hasn't changed. For £16 we had 1 large fish and chips, 1 large battered sausage, 2 portions of large chips and a pie and chips so I think that's reasonably good considering takeaway fish and chips aren't the cheapest takeaway option!

It wasn't the same husband and wife team that I've seen before but couldn't say whether it's cause they don't run it anymore. Maybe a younger generation of the family have taken it over? There are still Madiera souveniers in there but not as many as there used to be!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish and chips any good?

Thanks - will give it another try when we are next up that way!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish and chips any good?

There is a new fish and chip take away just opened in Long Hanborough. It is called Off the Hook. I am told it is good. Not tried it yet.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish and chips any good?

Update for "Off the Hook" in Long Hanborough. It sells excellent high quality fish and chips amongst other things. Not too pricey. It is always busy with people coming from Woodstock. Even the locals from Freeland consider it their local chippy. That tells a story.

Edited: 5:20 am, November 17, 2013
Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish and chips any good?

The Madiera Fish Bar on Hailey Road in Witney is still pretty good, but I'm afraid Off the Hook in Long Hanborough is far, far superior to it and to most chip shops in the area. Well worth the trip to Hanborough and the inevitable queueing time. And open Sundays.

Witney, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish and chips any good?

Agree with the comments regarding Off The Hook in Long Hanborough - now the best fish and chip shop in the Witney area - but it will cost a bit more!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish and chips any good?

Looks like I should try Off The Hook. Is it the best one in Oxfordshire? If not, what is?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish and chips any good?

>>>>Looks like I should try Off The Hook. Is it the best one in Oxfordshire? If not, what is?<<<<

I do not think anyone can answer this question with authority because Oxfordshire has many towns and villages with Fish & Chips shops in them, so I doubt anyone will have tried them all. What I can say is that the quality of the food is excellent, but whether it is the best value for money is up to the individual eating from there.

Last week we went to Smarts Fish & Chip shop in the centre of Witney (we go there a lot if we are travelling back from the west of the country) and we found you got a lot more chips and larger fish for the same money.

You would have to try both yourself to make a judgement. Also you would need to try both of them several times to be certain.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fish and chips any good?

Yes, good point!

I'm not interested in portion sizes, to be honest, since I'm just driving around trying all of the recommendations. I'm mainly interested in what tastes the most delicious. It's hard to ever definitively ascertain that as you said, since there are so many options. But it seems like people are pretty excited about this one so I will have to try it.

My fave in the country is Chez Fred in Bournemouth.

Reply to: Fish and chips any good?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Witney