We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three. nights in Northumberland end of August

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Three. nights in Northumberland end of August

Hi

We are hoping to spend some time in Northumberland in August. We were thinking about one night on Lindisfarm, can anyone recommend a nice place to stay, it will jus be my husband and myself and we would prefer somewhere quiet.

We were then thinking about a couple of nights locally on the mainland. We are thinking of doing one boat safari and one out to the nature reserve island. I don't know which birds would be about in August.

So if anyone has any advice for a couple of middle agers who like a quiet time re places to sta!,places to go, it would b very much appreciated!

Kind regards

Theresa

3 replies to this topic
Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three. nights in Northumberland end of August

Holy Island won't be quiet in August I'm afraid as that is peak season. However you will find it quietens down when the day trippers go with the tide. Still, there will be many visitors staying on the island ... The Manor House is very nice. Otherwise you might be better staying inland and visiting during the day but as i say, it's REALLY busy when you go across at this time of year and you might be better off coming over when the tide is just coming in and staying 5 - 6 hours. Businesses often shut when tide is in as it's so quiet however, as this is peak season most places should be open. if you do decide to stay inland, there is a very nice hotel in Cornhill but it's not cheap. depends on your budget really. My husband and I stayed at The Granary B&B in Berwick which was fabulous. Again, being August i don't know how quiet it will be. You might be better off booking somewhere in places like Belford, Lowick etc. which are rural villages so bound to be much quieter. We enjoyed our stay so much we moved up here!! In August, you will still have puffins on the Farne Islands, and of course lots of Terns. There are so many lovely places to visit up here. Ford and Etal Estates is very nice too. Try to go to Cheswick Beach - amazing. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three. nights in Northumberland end of August

Also rather than start another thread, is the AD122 a nice way of seeing Hadrian's Wall? I presume we'll need a day to take it all in?

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three. nights in Northumberland end of August

we haven't done that yet so can't comment, sorry. it's on our list!

Reply to: Three. nights in Northumberland end of August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Holy Island
More Holy Island Topics