We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knaresborough or Harrogate

Which Knaresborough hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Knaresborough or Harrogate

We are looking at going on a short three day break in September and are deciding whether to go to Knaresborough or Harrogate has anyone any advice (we want a few decent pubs, something to do in the daytime and some kind of entertainment in the evening, a pub with live music. Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

Firstly it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to drive from Harrogate to Knaresborough (depending on traffic) or 5 minutes on the train so just where you stay is to some extent academic. If you are staying at one it would make sense to visit the other. As to which, there is a much wider range of places to stay in Harrogate from cheap and cheerful B&B's to boutique hotels. There is also more to do in the way of night life. For live music make sure you visit the Blues Bar on Montpellier. It would also be worth looking to see what is on at the theatre and anything/anyone at the Royal Hall.

www.harrogatetheatre.co.uk/whatson.aspx

If you follow the link above you will see there is quite a bit going on to suit most tastes spread across Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon.

I hope you enjoy yourselves

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

Harrogate is a much bigger place so will have more to do and more choice, However Knaresborough is very attractive and interesting with some decent pubs, well worth a visit. You can easily do it as a day or part day trip by train from Harrogate.

Harrogate, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

I agree with Sandy 1949: I live locally though not a native. It's true Harrogate is bigger & so in that sense you have more choice. It is a handsome town surrounded by open parkland (The Stray), but I prefer Knaresborough which is much more (to me) 'artistic' & interesting with stunning scenery, great historical interest (dates from 12th C whereas Harrogate is much more recent) & lots to see including such quirky touches as amusing Trompe L'oeil paintings dotted about on buildings.

But as others say you will have time to see both; hope it goes well.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

hi we are stayibg over at knaresborough for the weekend...sat night want nice meal and a few pubs..what type of dress code as such is it? can i get a bit dressed up or just jeans?? thanks..

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

I can recommend the Old Bell pub on Montpellier in Harrogate and the Bishop Blaize in Karesborough - both renowned real ale bars and nice pubs - also the Blues Bar in Harrogate frequently has good music and Hales Bar is on my 'to do' list of historic pubs

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

Hi Joe there's no Bishop's Blaize in Knaresborough - maybe you getting mixed up - there is the Mitre or Blind Jacks both excellent real ale pubs

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

Yes sorry I meant Blind Jacks! No idea where I got the other name from maybe a pub in Richmond!

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

Stay in Harrogate, far more choice. Go to Knaresborough by train for an afternoon and early evening.

Pep

Essex
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

The Blues Bar is indeed good! Also the Harrogate Brasserie has live Jazz nights if you like that.

If you have dinner at Betty's they have a pianist in the evenings....

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Knaresborough or Harrogate

Visited Knaresborough this week whilst staying at Skipton and I would have to say I thought it was a bit down at heel compared to Skipton, Ilkley, Pately Bridge. Yes it has the bridge and river but I would probably say stay at Harrogate and poss visit Knaresborough on a fine day

Reply to: Knaresborough or Harrogate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Knaresborough