We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd structure SE of Whitewell

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Odd structure SE of Whitewell

There is a rural road heading east and then south from Whitewell which ends at a T intersection at these Google Maps coordinates 53.903428,-2.500162 . If you head east the road quickly curves to the south again. At the bend of the road on the east side is an odd underground structure with an arched door. It can be seen on Google Street View on the east side of the bend. Is this just a cold storage location or is there some historic significance to it? We will be traveling this route in June on a jaunt that will take us from north to south through the Pennines and the Forest of Bowland.

Jerry in Calgary

6 replies to this topic
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd structure SE of Whitewell

What you describe sounds like the entrance to an Ice Huse... where Ice was stored during the winter months for use during the summer months. Would it be possible to post a link to the Google maps location (zoomed in) as I haven't managed to find it (yet) from your description.

2. Re: Odd structure SE of Whitewell

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:04 am, December 26, 2015
Edited: 10:04 am, December 26, 2015

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd structure SE of Whitewell

A Lime Kiln sounds much more likely given the location. Good find :)

4. Re: Odd structure SE of Whitewell

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:04 am, December 26, 2015

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odd structure SE of Whitewell

Thank you very much for responding to my question so quickly and accurately. I had considered the ice house possibility but the unique shape of the door suggested otherwise. Your ability to find pictures of the exact spot certainly proves that it is a lime kiln. I am looking forward to my tour of this region.

How did we ever plan our vacations in the past without Street View? <grin>

Jerry

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odd structure SE of Whitewell

alrite jerry since your in the area you might know this but at dunsop bridge a village not far from whitewell theres a public phone box that is placed on the exact centre of the united kingdom I use it every time when im passing to annoy my mum

Reply to: Odd structure SE of Whitewell
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waddington