We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Whitstable

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around Whitstable

I'm going to Whitstable for a long weekend Feb 25 2011 and have heard there is a walk partly based on Dickens "Great Expectations". I can not find any information about this, does anyone know any details about this walk?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Hi, I think you've got this wrong - Whitstable has no Dickens connections. It will either be Broadstairs, where he wrote some of his work, or Rochester where many of his locations were based

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around Whitstable

In fact I'm fairly sure it will be Rochester as Restoration House was used as the basis for Satis House in Great Expectations. I've Googled this walk walksoflondon.co.uk/39/a-charles-dickens-wal…

If you're interested, Rochester is on the same train line as Whitstable, it's a 40 min journey and only 5 mins from the station to the historic high street.

Broadstairs is about 25-30 mins by train (but engineering works on 26th). There is a "Turner and Dickens Walk" between Margate and Broadstairs http://www.visitthanet.co.uk/turner-dickens/ the only Dickens sights are Bleak House which was his summer residence where he wrote David Copperfield (now a private home) and the Dickens House Museum (Betsey Trottwood in David Copperfield was based on a woman who lived here) www.visitthanet.co.uk/thedms.asp…

Essex
Level Contributor
28,544 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Here's a walk throught Whitstable from the town website - I suspect, but don't know - that you could probably pick up more information about this at the Tourist Office:

whitstableseasideholiday.com/whitstable_stre…

Here's some coastal walks from the same website:

whitstableseasideholiday.com/whitstable_saxo…

Heres some Nature walks from the local Natural History Society:

http://www.wnhs.org.uk/local_walks.htm

Literature wise, Somerset Maughm lived here, and is thought that the 'Blackstable' in Cakes & Ale was based on Whitstable.

For somthing more raunchy, try reading Tipping the Velvet!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Kent Couty Coucil have a website for all sorts of walks, included guided walks and events. Try www.kent.gov.uk/explorekent

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Whitstable no longer has a Tourist Office but tourist leaflets can be picked up at the museum or library ,or pop into Whitstable Improvement Trust's shop on Harbour St or the Horsebridge Centre.

You could always do a Peter Cushing walk! There is a little exhibit on him in the museum on Oxford St, his house is on Wavecrest (with the blue plaque), head back to town along the beach past the "Cushing's View" memorial bench, ending up at the Tudor Team Rooms on Harbour St (which is now a bit of a Cushing shrine!).

Starting at the Harbour, a good general wander is the beachside path along past The Neptune to West Beach, cut back down onto Island Wall, then Middle Wall, High Street, Harbour Street and Sea Wall back to the Horsebridge. But also east of the harbour is nice too at the beach by the Hotel Continental, the Castle and Tankerton's grassy slopes, promenade and beach huts

Here's a good site:

http://www.seewhitstable.com/index.html

Essex
Level Contributor
28,544 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Thanks BayB0y, didn't know about the lack of tourist office in Whitstable.

Seems a bit 'dippy' really don't you think.

OH well. Have a few Oysters and fugeddaboudit I suppose!!

Peter Cushing walk - lovely, in a batty kind of way!! "Frank's" for that!!

Edited: 6:32 pm, February 23, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Thank you all for your suggestions, really looking forward to exploring, as long as it does not rain!

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Is there any walks I can do with someone local from whitstable

Essex
Level Contributor
28,544 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Well, as you are already IN Whitstable, according to your profile, then maybe you are best placed to find out.

Try the local Ramblers Association group, perhaps?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,430 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking around Whitstable

Three and a half years dormant before being woken up by a necropost must be something of a record !!

Get answers to your questions about Whitstable