We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel

Which Herne Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CASTLEMAINE...
1 post
Save Topic
Travel

I am travelling to Herne Bay from Gatwick airport. How do I do that using public transport. My travek advisor tells me there is a bus but that the bus goes via London. Surely there is a better way to get to Herne Bay than a 5 hour bus route. Please help

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel

How about a 2 hr, 20 min train trip? It would still require going into London and changing trains there.

www.nationalrail.co.uk for times and fares.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel

Yeah, the train would be better. You do have to change in London but it's easy as the Gatwick Express comes into Victoria station, which is where the Herne Bay trains leave from.

Trains for Herne Bay leave from platforms 1 - 8, which is the other side to where the Gatwick Express comes in. You're looking for a train whose final destination is Ramsgate & Dover Priory (.03 and .33 minutes past every hour at most times of day). The train splits in half at Faversham, with one half going to Ramsgate and the other half going to Dover. I can never remember which half is which, so listen to the announcements - they'll repeat it a lot! Herne Bay is on the Ramsgate line. They're quite nice trains, too - although if you're on anything between about 4pm and 7pm on a weekday they can be pretty busy as it's a popular commuter route.

As the previous poster said, www.nationalrail.co.uk is your friend ;)

3. Re: Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:22 am, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Herne Bay